Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha YZ250

looking at getting a 1986 yz250 nice shape just woundering what if any were cons about this machine? i will be turning it into a wood bike bigger flywheel for sure some lights skid plate and pipe armour(has a fmf pipe on it) chage the back sporcket for more low end power thanks in advance. also dose anybody know if u can get the yellow and black plastics for that year and a over size tank

Edited by T-Cat
added to post

I have had an 87 YZ250 like forever. I had forgotten about it when my son dug it out, and we went back through it completely. They are a great bike, and you wont need a heavier flywheel because the bikes are tractors with the stock flywheel. The suspension though dated by todays standards is excellent for woods(plush). They are a typical YZ and have smooth power all the way through the powerband. Make sure to use good head and jug gaskets/orings, and engine ice for coolant. Cover the radiator hose that is right next to the pipe to protect from heat transfer. Enjoy:ride:

I am curious why you specifically chose a 1986 YZ250, do you know the seller or just found one for sale cheap? I have to admit, for their day, they were good strong running bikes. We had a 1988 or 1989 YZ 250 and that bike was solid and very reliable. However, by todays standards, the bike is sort of dated....it all depends on your budget. What is your budget?

i have a old fourtrax i am wanting to get rid of and a girl i know has the yamaha she was goping to sell but would trade me the bike is nice shape and has been well looked after runs nice and pulls strong not 100 precent sure i wont a 2 storke yet. may try and sell the quad and buy a four storke xr insteed

i have a old fourtrax i am wanting to get rid of and a girl i know has the yamaha she was goping to sell but would trade me the bike is nice shape and has been well looked after runs nice and pulls strong not 100 precent sure i wont a 2 storke yet. may try and sell the quad and buy a four storke xr insteed

If you have doubts about a 2t, an old YZ250 is probably not the route you want to take...buying an XR sounds like a good idea for you. The XRs are absolutely bulletproof...but you pay with weight.

I would recommend at least getting into the 90's which ever bike you choose. If for no other reason than parts availability. I think 250 2t's make real decent woods bikes, more nimble than a 450F, better torque than a 250F. The European enduro 2t's are great, but a recent one will be more costly. You might consider a KDX, RMX or WR bike from the 90's, good affordable machines.

If you have doubts about a 2t, an old YZ250 is probably not the route you want to take...buying an XR sounds like a good idea for you. The XRs are absolutely bulletproof...but you pay with weight.

the reason for the doubts are because i will be doig trail rides with my son who rides a crf70 and it can get slow at times so dont wont to be over heating or? the wrenching on a two stroke dosent bother me I like to tinker with bikes do u think ithios bike will be fine riding slow at times or will i foul plugs lots?

I wounder if a yamaha warrior would better suit may needs? i found a a 1999 warrior I can trade for stock other the a full exhust system. I had one before and it was fun to ride what to do what to do:banghead::busted:

talked to yamaha dealer today and said the parts are interchangeable over a few years so yes most parts are easy to come by. is it easy to put a light on these bikes?

Strictly my opinion -- i think a 26 year old 250 will be too expensive to be a good trail machine long term -- even if its free

Likely needs new bearings all the way around (wheels, steering stem, linkage bushings ) - the shock needs to be serviced, likely the fork too ---

you will deal with dried out seals everywhere and constant small, annoying leaks (sometimes not small) -- new plastic to make it look fresh may be scarce -- don't know about the pipe availability if you ding up a pipe on the trails

HAte to be a "Negative NAncy" -- but a bike that old is almost a museum piece , or a weekend special for an AHRMA enthusiast- (but then again, it has a front disc brake- so its not legal for an AHRMA class)

If your up to the challenge, rock on ---- i like your idea of a newer XR though.

so i have thought about it a figure since winter is here and snow on the way i am going to keep the quad and save some more cash up and look for a thumper which will be more user frinedly for what i need it for.thanks for all the inputs

so i have thought about it a figure since winter is here and snow on the way i am going to keep the quad and save some more cash up and look for a thumper which will be more user frinedly for what i need it for.thanks for all the inputs

:busted: -- An XR250 or 400 from about 93 or 94 on would be sweet --- those bikes didn't change for years and years and still have a huge amount of aftermarket support and interest

A restored YZ would undoubtebly be pretty cool, but if you do a nice restoration on it, you might be afraid to get it scratched up :busted:

just a update I picked up a 2004 ktm 250 exc four storke:banana::lol: