Sign in to follow this  

what ktm for enduro...need help?

alright well i am wanting to start doing more enduro racing and i am wanting to buy a ktm, its going to be an exc, xcw, or xc, somthing along those lines.. question is what should i get? what models and years? i am leaning towards a 300 for the extra torque in the trails.. but i will also consider the 250 or posssibily the 200... i am 140 pounds, 16 years old, and am an intermediate trail rider, coming off of a cr250 2 stroke... any help would be great... hoping to get a ktm soon... :busted:

you will see more 300's in the woods around here in the PNW for good reason. VERY versatile bike able to handle and shine in all terrain types we ride.

Joe

Alright well I am going to get a 300. But should I go for a xc, xcw, or exc? For enduro and harescramblers? What's the main differences between these models?

Alright well I am going to get a 300. But should I go for a xc, xcw, or exc? For enduro and harescramblers? What's the main differences between these models?

XC-W is an EXC, but the EXC stopped in 05 and XC_W replaced it in 06. EXC had lights and a sparky, XC-W doesnt, but can add it, lighting coil/wiring/regulator all in place. XC is the same as XC-W, but closer ratio gearbox and different front forks, no regulator in place, but has lighting coil in place already. If you want a wide ratio, EXC or XC-W, if you want close ratio, XC. Endure Engineerign makes a complete lighting kit using all OE parts for eityher XC or XC-W models, so dont let no lights stop you from buying one if you want lights. Super easy add. And a spark arrestor will be needed for XC or XC-W.

2012 XC has linkage rear suspension and XCW has PDS. Both are 6 speeds and i believe the gears are the same if not very close. There is a huge difference in the handling. If you ride tight single track enduro terrain go for the XCW It turns way better that the XC. If you ride open terrain go for the XC. I made the mistake of buying the XC for enduro and am hating life!!

i did consider a 200 or 250 but im wondering i wil be lacking power... also, is the 250xcw as reliable as the 300xcw?

in most cases bigger the bore the more reilble it is less high revs to go the same speed but im in the same boat as you i want a new ktm i road a 150 xc 200 xcw and the 300 xcw today at lunch just a 1 mile loop in the woods the shop had set up the 300 was sweet tons of low end pull couldent stall the thing if i tried 200 was sweet lil more clutchin in the real tight spots but the 150 was my fav so light plenty of power for the woods and on the one big hill on the trail theres was a 20inch log smack dab in the middle and the 150 went up n over with ease and still had plenty of low end to pull me up with minmil clutch i pick it up friday lol

p.s i cant spell :busted:

ya i dont know if i would want a 150... so i am leaning towards a 300 but what about a 250xcw? would it be a lot more reliable then my cr250?

2012 XC has linkage rear suspension and XCW has PDS. Both are 6 speeds and i believe the gears are the same if not very close. There is a huge difference in the handling. If you ride tight single track enduro terrain go for the XCW It turns way better that the XC. If you ride open terrain go for the XC. I made the mistake of buying the XC for enduro and am hating life!!

What makes the difference in handling from the xc to the xcw?

I've heard that Xc has a larger distance between tires, what makes it harder to turn, but better for open roads and stability, someone could give more Info about it???

hey well another question i have about this (guessing i should make a new fourm) but anyways, just wondering if i should sell my crf250r to get a ktm300? or should i use my crf250r for enduros and harescramblers

hey well another question i have about this (guessing i should make a new fourm) but anyways, just wondering if i should sell my crf250r to get a ktm300? or should i use my crf250r for enduros and harescramblers

Imo they are totally different im gonna sell it cruz the lack of power, if you're gonna race deffinetly the 300 would be the choice! Maybe the XC

The XC is 1" taller (frame to ground) and almost 1" longer wheelbase (don't know from where) according to the ktm website.

I've heard that Xc has a larger distance between tires, what makes it harder to turn, but better for open roads and stability, someone could give more Info about it???

I doubt that would make much of a difference for any of us....we're just not good enough to tell

If I were you I'd buy a 250 XCW, or XC.. You will have plenty of power.. Most 300's have an overheating issue that the 250 does not.. At 16 yeatrs old i believe that the 250 will be a better fit for you..

Edited by zilla

...the fork rake angle is the difference, hence the longer wheel base on the xc. the closer the forks are the sharper you can turn. at 16....i'd definitely go 200 or 250. the 300 with a full tank is a bit heavier than your cr 250. and theres no comparison between honda and ktm....thats really chalk and cheese. if you look after the bike - it'll look after you

alright thank.. ya i think i will look into a 250 then.. i think that a 200 would lack some power.

You don't need to make assumptions, you need to ride them. If you don't, you are only shorting yourself and possibly missing out on the best fit.

Not sayinf the 200 is the best fit, but it is NOT down on power. Besides it is not about how much it has it is how much of it yoi can use.