Sign in to follow this  

Tire Advice

Now that I have my rim situation handled it's time for tires. I need to find out what is good, better, best. 90% of my riding is sandy, rocky, rooty trails/track. The other 10% only changes when I ride up north, still sandy and rooty, just not as rocky.

So, what tires are you guys running and why? I am on a 1999 KX 125, and believe that I have been running a 100/90/19, could I or should I go up to a 110/100/19? Is there any benefit to the wider tire other than the obvious larger ground contact? Would that change how the bike rode/ handled?

Thanks in advance for the advice, if it matters I am running the stock rims.

or should I go up to a 110/100/19? Is there any benefit to the wider tire other than the obvious larger ground contact? Would that change how the bike rode/ handled?

Thanks in advance for the advice, if it matters I am running the stock rims.

I dont think your going to find a 110/100-19 That would be a taller tire. But yes I would recommend a 110/90-19 as opposed to a 100/90-19. I have always ran a wider tire on my bikes especially my 450 I ran a 120/90-19 and it loved it. Just ordered a set of those kenda trakmaster tires for my kx250 and I think they will be great for the terrain you say you have. I ran them on the 450 in the same type of terrain and the bike stuck like glue. It also did pretty good in the deep sand and the bike would actually want to pull the front up with them.

I dont think your going to find a 110/100-19 That would be a taller tire. But yes I would recommend a 110/90-19 as opposed to a 100/90-19. I have always ran a wider tire on my bikes especially my 450 I ran a 120/90-19 and it loved it. Just ordered a set of those kenda trakmaster tires for my kx250 and I think they will be great for the terrain you say you have. I ran them on the 450 in the same type of terrain and the bike stuck like glue. It also did pretty good in the deep sand and the bike would actually want to pull the front up with them.

Thanks for the info, and now I remember the significance of the middle number. Don't know why, but I assumed Kenda was a lesser quality tire. I was assuming this, had no evidence to back it up. I will check into the Kenda tires, where are you getting them? I have seen package deals on some websites, also, is there a specific tire, like soft/intermediate, or is it just the trakmaster?

Thanks again for the advice/info.

Thanks for the info, and now I remember the significance of the middle number. Don't know why, but I assumed Kenda was a lesser quality tire. I was assuming this, had no evidence to back it up. I will check into the Kenda tires, where are you getting them? I have seen package deals on some websites, also, is there a specific tire, like soft/intermediate, or is it just the trakmaster?

Thanks again for the advice/info.

I get mine from rockymountain. The Kenda's are cheap in price but they are tuff tires and they are DOT approved! But they are great because the knobs are taller thus they last longer. They are a little on the heavy side though.

I get mine from rockymountain. The Kenda's are cheap in price but they are tuff tires and they are DOT approved! But they are great because the knobs are taller thus they last longer. They are a little on the heavy side though.

Thanks Bro, I appreciate the advice/info.