Sign in to follow this  

CRF150R parts swap

I get a hand on a blown CRF150R for cheap

I planning to use the fork. shock and rear brake on my Girlfriend CRF150F 2011

Someone have ever try it with 150 parts? I know a lot use CR85 for doing it .

You will need the complete front end. Forks will not work with the front brake and wheel spacing. I don't think the rear shock will fit without modifying the frame. The bike will handle better if you use the "R" frame.

Don't do the forks. You're thinking small. Do the whole front end!

The shock? All you need is a drill bit or a CRF230 linkage. Now I don't know what else you could do with the rest of the bike (CRF150R), but if this is your goal to pump up the crf150f, that's how you would do it.

do a few searches. You'll find all the answers to your questions. My link in my signature also has the details too. Good luck.

One on my friend girlfriend have a CRF150R, but she need the CRF150RB setup. So he find a CRF150RB with blown engine. He plan to use the wheels, swingarms, rear brake line, shock and fork from the CRF150RB for upgrade the 150R (Only 20 hours on the little wheel)

So he gonna sell me the 150R little wheel fork, shock, clamp ... and may be more if I can

the 150R front end will work. Check Reger Engineering for the parts you need.

Spacers for the axle. Send them the lower clamp and they push out the stem and do a little machining on the lower clamp so the stem sits in just about 3/16th farther so it is long enought to get the top stem bolt on correctly.

So finally, the project start today with this purchase...

CR85R 2004 front end for 50$

61b85.jpg

So I've got a lot of question, if some can share his experience. Tone consultant give me a lot of answer, but if some do it otherways feel free to reply.

150F or 85R brake line, front caliper and disk?

Can I use the 150F steering stem bearing ?

Best way to fit the key switch (except a Regner top clamp) ?

Front fender and fork protector, 150R one gonna fit ?

150F front number plate still fit well?

For now, I know I must press out the steam shaft

Collar kit for my 150F wheels

Probably a caliper bracket

.40 Fork spring (My girlfriend is a novice 120 lbs)

I miss something ?

150F or 85R brake line, front caliper and disk? Check the inlet to the caliper and the outlet fitting on the master cyclinder, possibly the same. Check to see if the 150F caliper will fir the forks and if it will accommodate the 220mm CR rotor or the 240mm CRF rotor.

Can I use the 150F steering stem bearing ? Yes, bearings are the same. Difference in stem length, if any, can be fixed with shimming washers

Best way to fit the key switch (except a Regner top clamp) ? Don't know

Front fender and fork protector, 150R one gonna fit ? 150R stuff, and CR80/85, stuff will fit the 150R forks. Caution: use the CRF fender (it will fit) or bob the CR fender to match the CRF fender so you have adequate air flow to the engine.

150F front number plate still fit well? Probably not

For now, I know I must press out the steam shaft Why if the bearings fit?

Collar kit for my 150F wheels Tilt; Crf150 uses a 15mm axle, the CR80/85 is a 12mm axle.

Probably a caliper bracket Maybe. The CR8-/85 wheel uses a 220mm rotor and the CRF150F wheel uses a 230mm rotor

.40 Fork spring (My girlfriend is a novice 120 lbs) Why so stiff? with the extra travel and cartridge damping you don't need the stiff springs. I weigh 175 wet, a B level rider, and prefer a .34kg spring rate in my CR80/85 USDs on a XR200. You may need to change fork springs because the stock CR80/85 springs are 28kg, but there are optional Honda springs of .30 and .32kg. And the CRF150R springs fit for .34 and 36kg. I've used RaceTech .36kg springs.

I went thru some of this in adapting CR80/85 USD forks to an XR200:

I see the CR front wheel has a bad rim, I had Buchanans lace on a 21" Excel to my CR80/85 hub. Check the spoke count on the two hubs.

Adapting the CRF150 wheel to the CR80/85 forks will require a 12mm axle. My notes indicate that the CRF150F wheel uses a 15mm axle with 6202 bearings (15x35x11). The CR80/85 wheel uses a 12mm axle with 6201 (12x32x10) bearings. Unfortunately to my knowledge there are no bearings with a 35mm OD and a 12mm ID that would suit the CR axle and the CRF wheel. So your options are:

1. Sleeve the CRF hub to 32mm for the CR bearings,

2. Bore the CRF hub for a 6303 brg (12x37x12),

3. Get CRF150R lower fork legs (15mm axle),

4. Buy a 15mm CRF150R axle and bore/ream the fork bosses to suit.

5. Have Buchanan lace a wheel of your choice on the CR80/85 hub.

Edited by chuck4788

Regner made a caliper relocation kit, and a axle adaptor kit for install my CRF150F caliper and wheel. Don't forget this bike didn't ride more than 5 hours, so all the OEM parts is brand new, it's why I want to use the more I can from it, like brake system and front wheels.

The shaft must be pressed out because is a little to short to reach the treads

For the spring, it's because the bike is really heavier

CR85 2004 : 145 lbs

CRF150F 2011 : 230 lbs

Difference : 85 lbs

Riders : 118 lbs

Reference weight for spring calculator : 118+85 = 203 lbs

So this give me .40 kg spring. But I did some research yesterday, and the Honda OEM CRF150RB optional stiffer spring is .38 kg and I can get a set for 80$ so I gonna use it and put more oil in the both fork.

Edited by DarkCRF

.32 is super soft-- that's the same as stock. If you do the .32's-- then you'd have to go pretty light in the rear to match the rates. I'd do at least .34's. If she's just trail riding-- I'd just have had the stock suspension set up for her weight, instead of going all out with it. The Hlebo job would work out great. I'm running stock suspension with .44 fork springs, stock rear spring with the Hlebo revalve, and I use the bike as a pit bike racer.

I have two 150's, and I'm planning on building a monster 150F out of my other bike. Other than the motor work-- the 150R suspension will be more for coolness than for better performance. The Hlebo set up is really that good, and the brakes are as good as anything.

I've raced and ridden the 150F extensively over the past two years, and the bike has shortcomings that are inherent to the bike no matter what you do to it. Its' excessive weight, and low ground clearance are the biggest issues. It may be a good idea to save the cash for her next bike-- 150R maybe?, and just enjoy the 150F for what it is with just a few small mods. I've learned that girls tend to respond more favorably to a set of girly graphics than expensive hardware like inverted forks... --L*64