Sign in to follow this  

changes through the years, which is best

probably been asked before but cant find any thing in searches. looking for a yz250 between 2001 and 2008 roughly. i know 02 got changes and how much better is the 02 from the 01? and 06 got alloy frame, is that worth the extra money? any changes in between these models? i have about 3 grand to spend but would spend more if its worth the changes. im in australia by the way

personally i would go with the newest bike you can afford , think of all the hours on say an 01 bike ,its ten years old ,unless you find a mint low hours bike.

Suspension and handlebars etc will be better on the newer bikes!

The general consensus is the 06+ and its SSS forks are the ones to get. Having said that, many riders prefer the steel frame's handling......and try to find 06+ newer forks to slap on.

It is totally worth holding out for an 06+ just for the suspension. Fork is awesome.

02 got new plastics i believe, possibly even in 01.

05 got the aluminum frame and newer suspension (SAS).

06 got a new pipe which is very popular and the SSS forks which are some of the best in the industry.

07 I believe got the 1 1/8" Pro Taper bars.

08 wave rotors and thinner fork tube uppers.

...08 wave rotors and thinner fork tube uppers.
...and smaller/lighter 250F brake calipers.

ok thanks guys i will wait for 06 then

If you get an 06 or 07 I believe, you will need to replace the shift part thingy (super technical description there), there is a link in the FAQ on how to do it (super easy job).

The faulty part was replaced in 08 I think.

oh ok, hopefully thats already done by previous owner. what changes between 02 and 04? i know the 04 was suppose to be one of the best bikes of its time

Im in the same situation except looking for a 125. I decided on getting an 04 but havent found one yet in mint condition, may take a while. The 04 was the last year for the steel frame which is what I want and I think the yz 250 got the last major motor mods in 03. Nobody gives the 04 fork any love but for offroad they are great in stock form, very plush but can be ridden hard. The 04 fork was the first year of the 48mm and got redesigned in 05 which was horrible in stock form with preload issues. The 06 and up are basically all the same and are great, just not as plush as the 04. I believe the wr250/450's used the 04 yz fork for several years like maybe up to 07 or 08 or possibly still use it. The 04 gets forgotton about since the aluminum frames came in 05 with a new fork and the the 03's and older had the smaller harsher forks. Get and 04, powdercoat the frame silver, and you will have a modern looking bike that handles better than a new one.

ok thanks guys i will wait for 06 then
If you get an 06 or 07 I believe, you will need to replace the shift part thingy (super technical description there), there is a link in the FAQ on how to do it (super easy job).

I think that only refers to the 125

Im in the same situation except looking for a 125. I decided on getting an 04 but havent found one yet in mint condition, may take a while. The 04 was the last year for the steel frame which is what I want and I think the yz 250 got the last major motor mods in 03. Nobody gives the 04 fork any love but for offroad they are great in stock form, very plush but can be ridden hard. The 04 fork was the first year of the 48mm and got redesigned in 05 which was horrible in stock form with preload issues. The 06 and up are basically all the same and are great, just not as plush as the 04. I believe the wr250/450's used the 04 yz fork for several years like maybe up to 07 or 08 or possibly still use it. The 04 gets forgotton about since the aluminum frames came in 05 with a new fork and the the 03's and older had the smaller harsher forks. Get and 04, powdercoat the frame silver, and you will have a modern looking bike that handles better than a new one.

I agree with you about the 04 but a buddy of mine has a 04 and i think in stock form the 06 and up feel much better.

Which would be better in, say, a desert riding application?

Steel frames tend to have better flex characteristics which reduces harshness in areas like whoops, square edged bumps, and hard hits. On top of that, steel frames bend before they break, aluminum frames come apart without a warning.

It's not a night and day difference but you will be able to notice it if you take, let's say, an 04 yz250 and an 06 yz250 out to the track on the same day.

I "think" the shift detent was only a 125 problem.. My 07 250 has ~500-600 hours with no issues :busted:

And OP, 06 + is the way to go..

I believe the aluminum frames increase vibration also which some people notice and some dont like in your throttle hand. Rigidity and vibration may will be less noticeable if any at all in a short moto whereas a harescramble or long desert ride it will be more noticeable when you are just trying to hang on and survive.

I got the 05 and got my suspension revalved by rg3 and love it.

question:

does anyone know if they changed the geometry of an 06 triple clamp? I know they switched to rubber mounts but was wondering if a stock or aftermarket 06 triple would fit on an 05...

oh and didn't mean to hijack the thread...

the aluminum frame was important for me, but I didn't have much incentive to get the 06 because i was getting my suspension done anyway and I'm assuming what was wrong with the 05 forks was the valving...

I honestly wish I would have gotten the 06 but I couldn't pass up a good deal on the 05 that I got.

Edited by rippedbx
addition

Did you hear the pulp mx show (maybe apodcast???) where Matthes talked about frame stretch when he was a Factory Yamaha wrench?

DV12, Reed or Ferry woudl stretch these frames after a few jumps...damn few. I believe he said 1/8" after a practice.

I sold my 99 and got an 06. Couldnt be happier. I rode the 99 again, since by buddy is the one i sold it too, and i knew in 5 seconds i made the right decision.