Sign in to follow this  

XC2 opinion: YZ250 more tiring than 250F

XC2 contender Ashburn's opinion on the YZ250 is that the bike was more tiring to race than his 250F: http://www.racerxonline.com/2011/11/08/250-words-two-stroke-versus-four-stroke.

Near the article's end: "With the title decided, Ashburn decided to switch it up and ride a YZ250 two-stroke on Sunday, and he led again before eventually fading to third, saying the two-stroke wore him out. “I know which bike I’ll be racing next year,” he said after Sunday’s race."

He's right.

I think it's far less tiring if you're used to the power delivery... Jumping on a 2T for one race isn't really a good comparison.

That's like saying that a YZ250 is more tiring than a YZ125

Exactly. I bet he'd be getting worn out on a 450 as well.

I found what he said a little odd, you would think riding the dog sh!t out of a 250f for a 3hr GNCC would be MORE tiring than a YZ250. He came off a KX450 in the Open A class last year, how does a YZ250 tire him out compared to a KX450?!

I have to admit, I agree with him. I raced both a 2t and a 4t 250's last year(10) depending on the terrain. The 4t was without a doubt less tiring than the 2t, with the exception of when the 4t stalled. I used auto clutches in both bikes as well. The power is just easier to manage, and for some reason I used the clutch less on the 4t than I did the 2t. My results were exactly the same on either bike, except when the 4t stalled and I couldn't restart it. With that said, I sold the 4t and now only race a 2t. It's simply cheaper and I don't have to worry about starting it.

Also a question of personal fitness IMO. I don't race but a 450 costs more power to ride for one hour that a 2 smoke 250 for me. One thing I see is the difference in the riders of old, they had longer races with heavier bikes without a real proper suspension such as the ones we have nowadays on those "modern" YZ250s.

I just sold a '05 YZ285 with wide ratio trans and I am now riding a '08 YZ290F with WR gearbox. Jeff Slavens suspension on both bikes. Yes, the 4-stroke is easier to ride fast for a long ride; it is really good at putting it's moderate power to the ground without drama. However, I am faster on the 2-stroke until I get tired. I should not have sold the '05 because now I have to build another. This time it is an '03 YZ265 with the wide ratio gearbox, '08 forks valved by me, and Eric Gorr low-to-mid porting. I should have it together next week. I can't wait!!! I'm looking for the best of both worlds. I'm keeping both of them this time.

i had a 250f for a while, worst mistake i ever made, never shifter and clutched so much in my life, the bike worked me to death, i grew up on 2t's and the 4t's are just too hard for me to ride, i will never go back to a 4t.

another thing is engine braking, that was something i just plain hated !

i had a 250f for a while, worst mistake i ever made, never shifter and clutched so much in my life, the bike worked me to death, i grew up on 2t's and the 4t's are just too hard for me to ride, i will never go back to a 4t.

another thing is engine braking, that was something i just plain hated !

Same thing here. I had a 250f for awhile and thought the same thing. I eventually bought a 450 and could ride it at a decent pace. I then tried a buddy's yz250 2t and realized that I should have never left the 2 strokes. I can live with a 450, but have never liked 250f's offroad.

you hate engine breaking? i love it. it pulls me up really good and allows for smoother riding and breaking. thats my opinion any way. i have 2 250f's. an 01 and 2010. i am thinking of buying a 250 2 stroke but stuck between which year to buy and if its worth it. i race motocross and motocross is all 4 strokes for a reason. i want 2 stroke simply because the cheaper and 250f is a little under powered and a 450f is to heavy and probably even to powerful for me. are the new 2 stroke any smoother? coz the old ones had no power then hit powerband and shoot out from under you. have the gotten any smoother?

• Like 1

trying to compare powerbands of the 250f's vs the 450f's anyone know the average rev-limit/redlne for either or both?

The engine breaking and the gyro effect is what I hated most on the 450f.......I would alway pull the clutch and use the brakes instead which made things more complicated for me and the way it liked to pull you up in a corner is another issue. By no means am I an expert rider but with a 250 2-stroke......point and shoot without to much control work simplified things for me. Will see how the 295 does this year.

Edited by primerib108