Sign in to follow this  

Oversize Tank Worries

Should I be worried that the oversized tank that I put on my 05 250sx is only about 1/16 to 1/8" above my pipe? It looks like it has moved down a bit from riding and may even touch at times(obviously hard to tell while I'm riding). I bought the tank used, but double checked the part number on the manu site, so I know it's the correct tank. Don't want a leak or even worse, fire.

Anybody had this prob?

Thanks

Not sure if this will work on your bike but in the past I have glued a couple strips of heavy duty tubing onto the frame/contact points the tank sits on, this gives you a little more room between the tank and pipe. The only issue then is if you smash your pipe up, you actually have to stop and do something about it.

Yep I had that issue too. I really was from my pipe needing to be bent back into shape a little to provide clearance. Good news is that the 2t pipe doesn't really get that hot so likely wont burn through but rubbing on the tank is bad so either bend the pipe a little with a long lever of sort, shim the tank up a little or maybe a little of both.