Sign in to follow this  

97 wr250

ok im getting rid of my YZ250F. been there done that, enough said. i dont ride tracks anymore, mostly desert and trails and just having fun. my only requirements for my next bike were wide ratio, 2 stroke 250+, lights, and off road tuned suspension vs MX. i know the WR doesnt have a light, but i think i can live with that for now. since i can always put one on later. ive been looking for ktm 250/300 exc for awhile, but they are hard to come by, and usually more expensive.

so for you WR 2 strokers out there, how is the suspension for offroad? was its setup for offroad from the factory or did they just toss YZ forks on it and call it good. i know im going backwards as far as technology wise, but im ok with that to a certain extent. bike has FMF pipe, stabilizer, and is in very good condition. im hoping to check it out in the next day or two. ive read up on the legendary 94 YZ motor, and how this is pretty much 94 yamaha stuff sold in 97. i rode a kx500 for awhile, so i think im ok with the odd tank these bikes have. any big disappointments in the bike? other than they stopped making them. anyone step to newer forks or shocks? i cant find a whole lot of info on the bike, but the info i can find seems to be good. any haters out there? if so why?

I got my 96 WR250 about a year ago, never used. So I started with a completely stock bike. For me, as a very experienced off-road rider at 165 lbs, the suspension is right on. These forks are factory dialed for off-road cross-country racing. The forks tended to bottom too easily for me but the springs were perfect, so I added 10 mm of fluid to each leg. Now they are perfect for woods and can handle some pretty large jumps, if necessary. The rear shock is right on with the typical adjustment tweaks. You do not need newer forks. I have gained a lot of confidence in the front end and rely on it in rough ST where I tend to keep my weight back on some other bikes. The ONLY drawback to the front end, IMO, is that these earlier years of yamahas have the slightly smaller diameter front brake rotor. I only notice it when I've been riding one of my other bikes then switch.. but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

My engine is bone stock and it rips. I like the stock pipe as it has good off-bottom and a wide midrange with no big hit.

Some guys think the large tank is a problem, but I don't. I've had a dozen or so oversized tanks on my bikes and this one works fine. I can get up front quickly and it doesn't bust your balls. The 02 WR426F I owned had a horrible shaped tank that would bust balls, but the 96 is different design.

I'm a brake dragger by nature, yet the rear brake holds up well, better than most bikes I've owned.

They really don't make 'em any better today, IMO, and I've owned several mid to late 2000 bikes.

Hope that helps.

do it just get it or buy mine ill meet you half way im from socal i can still find my way around ill post my craigslist ad

1996 2-stroke wr 250 , frames been powdercoated, new silver excell rims, all original plastics in great shape, has lighting coil but no headlight or taillight. kick stand, 18'' rear wheel,new o-ring chain and 2 extra sprockets, stock desert tank, bark busters, moose bars, moose skidplate, proaction suspension, welded on sparky spark arrestor, with stock pipe and stock silencer gyt-r long rod kit bought new in april, pro x piston with 2 rides on it call chris at 928-970-1004

103_0512.jpg

103_0510.jpg