Sign in to follow this  

New top end

I was told my RM had about 40hrs on it before I bought it about 4wks ago, I've put probably 5hrs on it since. Just for peace of mind I'm going to do a top end job around christmas break. I normally buy my parts from rocky mtn mc or motorcycle superstore because of free shipping and quick delivery. Only issue is they don't seem to offer high compression pistons, I hope I don't sound dumb but you can get high comp pistons for 2stks right? The 2 vendors about offer moose, wisceo, and vertex I'm probably going with vertex if I do a stock piston.

I was told my RM had about 40hrs on it before I bought it about 4wks ago, I've put probably 5hrs on it since. Just for peace of mind I'm going to do a top end job around christmas break. I normally buy my parts from rocky mtn mc or motorcycle superstore because of free shipping and quick delivery. Only issue is they don't seem to offer high compression pistons, I hope I don't sound dumb but you can get high comp pistons for 2stks right? The 2 vendors about offer moose, wisceo, and vertex I'm probably going with vertex if I do a stock piston.

You change/ rework the head on a 2 stroke if you want to change compression, not the piston.

You change/ rework the head on a 2 stroke if you want to change compression, not the piston.

ok now I feel dumb :busted:

I get my shat from Oemcycle.com they beat the others you mention on price from what I have seen. I also would go back Wiseco but that is me. :busted: good luck!!

did you decide against the 265? At least i think i remember you asking about that. if i'm thinking of someone else i appologize.

did you decide against the 265? At least i think i remember you asking about that. if i'm thinking of someone else i appologize.

At the moment probably so, I've spent close to $600 on the bike since I got it on suspension, new F&R fenders, new graphics, new fork guards, new tires, new bars/grips/hand guards. So probably just do a top end for now and basically have a new bike.

At the moment probably so, I've spent close to $600 on the bike since I got it on suspension, new F&R fenders, new graphics, new fork guards, new tires, new bars/grips/hand guards. So probably just do a top end for now and basically have a new bike.

I know that feeling very well....

as for the top end, people seem to have great luck with the Wiseco pistons. better to pay the few extra dollars for wiseco and be sure you have a quality piston. could save you money in the long run.

I haven't ordered one in a while (been riding the KTM a lot lately), but I always found the motosport.com wiseco top-end kit the most convenient. Everything you need with fast shipping. Plus, they sell OEM parts, so you could have them throw in some of those little dowel pins (cylinder alignment) or any other minor bits you might need.

CP doesn't make 2-stroke pistons. For more compression you could always find a slightly thinner base gasket

CP does make 2 stroke pistons. check their website. just installed one on an RM 125 yesterday.

Edited by dtha70
typo

Vertex are excellent pistons. They qualify for KTM as an oem supplier. The quality is better than anything else available for the two stroke market. Not only do they suppliy most of the European dirt bike market but they make the oem piston for nearly every Italian go kart engine.

Vertex are very good, but don't overlook genuine Suzuki pistons which in my experience are still the best by far.

BTW, there's lots of stuff on here and elsewhere about the pros and cons of cast v forged pistons, all well worth reading.

Vertex are very good, but don't overlook genuine Suzuki pistons which in my experience are still the best by far.

BTW, there's lots of stuff on here and elsewhere about the pros and cons of cast v forged pistons, all well worth reading.

You would have to be delusional to think a "genuine Suzuki ART YZ250 super duper oem" piston is better than Vertex or any forged.

Why are people so clueless about this kind of stuff?

In my experience... Ive seen the stock cast pistons last 2x as long as the others. (i have 2 06 RM 250s with 200+ hours on each one).

although I m no engine genius I understand the weight of the piston can affect performance and reliability of bearings in a long haul situation? any validity to that?