Sign in to follow this  

Athena 2 stroke DI

The site seems to be down

Yeah I get an error now about to heavy of traffic. Overloaded with all the 2 stroke fans :busted:

This Athena DI and Ossa's DI enduro bike both are fresh news today on that site :busted:

Perhaps this will spark life back into 2 stroke bikes for everyone. Seems like DI makes more power on larger engines, so why not do it to 2 strokes to get even more power?

Perhaps this will spark life back into 2 stroke bikes for everyone. Seems like DI makes more power on larger engines, so why not do it to 2 strokes to get even more power?

When you think about it with DI what is the need for 4 strokes anymore?

You could seal the crankcase, so no more oil burning, and your injector and PV are your valves. No need for a wasted revolution, cams, valves, chains. Thats alot of parasitic losses on a motor's power.

I saw that:thumbsup: 50cc though...

Just a test bike. They do it in 800cc snowmobiles.

So this is a athena di kit, not a di two stroke athena rite?

If its a kit I know there are a few others out there, but athena is a name I would trust.

Still need to know how 'clean' it can be to be truly competitive on the worldwide bike scene. But for sure, DI will be a huge step. Because you need the pumping of the crankcase, you will have to use oil injection to lube the crank rod big and small ends. So that remains an issue, unless they use a supercharger or turbo but that has its' own problems on the small engines (weight, spool up). Then you have to add an oil pump to circulate engine oil, that sucks up power. Plan on a big jump in costs too, at least 10%. Progress costs unfortunately.

I do think this sort of tech will be the saving grace to 2S in the marketplace.

I think DI will be bigger in road bikes, snowmobile, water crafts, and maybe some dual sports. For example, the skidoo DI snowmobiles are awesome and the fuel economy is important since you can a long ways without seeing a gas station. I can see a modern 900cc DI 2 stroke sport bike being awesome, but I don't see a ton of advantages for a 100% off road dirt bike except for fuel economy. The only way I see it being worth it for an offroad bikes is a noticeable power increase.

I think DI will be bigger in road bikes, snowmobile, water crafts, and maybe some dual sports. For example, the skidoo DI snowmobiles are awesome and the fuel economy is important since you can a long ways without seeing a gas station. I can see a modern 900cc DI 2 stroke sport bike being awesome, but I don't see a ton of advantages for a 100% off road dirt bike except for fuel economy. The only way I see it being worth it for an offroad bikes is a noticeable power increase.

Tunability and elevation change would be other benifits to FI

From what I've been told by a friend that is a Ski Doo mechanic is you don't really see a fuel economy with the sleds with DI since sledding is all pretty much full throttle. It still takes lots of gas to make big horsepower. It's at the low throttle settings were the savings take place due to efficiency. This would be perfect for a woods bike.

Reality is with tuning, emissions, etc it would be big benefits for any 2 stroke.

From what I've been told by a friend that is a Ski Doo mechanic is you don't really see a fuel economy with the sleds with DI since sledding is all pretty much full throttle. It still takes lots of gas to make big horsepower. It's at the low throttle settings were the savings take place due to efficiency. This would be perfect for a woods bike.

Reality is with tuning, emissions, etc it would be big benefits for any 2 stroke.

That is if you are riding in powder. On trails it is very rare I open up my 900 all the way because I'll be up to a 100 pretty quick. My dad has a skidoo 800 (the non DI motor) and in a lot of spots it is usually 1/4 throttle to 3/4. Ridden hard the Etec 800s can get 14/15 mpg opposed to 9/10 on the non DI motor 800.

Tunability and elevation change would be other benifits to FI

I think FI is a great thing to add to dirt bikes, but I was talking about DI.

That is if you are riding in powder. On trails it is very rare I open up my 900 all the way because I'll be up to a 100 pretty quick. My dad has a skidoo 800 (the non DI motor) and in a lot of spots it is usually 1/4 throttle to 3/4. Ridden hard the Etec 800s can get 14/15 mpg opposed to 9/10 on the non DI motor 800.

Yeah it's all deep powder here. My old 02 700 Summit's belt doesn't engage untill over 4500 rpm. Top speed on the mountain sleds is more like 60-70mph.