Sign in to follow this  

Please Help: Noobie with some 03 CRF230F Suspension Questions

Well just a little back ground before I ask my questions. I have a bone stock 03 crf230f. Nothing has been done to it. I have been riding it for about 1.5 years and this is my first time on a bike. I have been riding/racing my trx450r for quite awhile. I got a 230 becuase I thought it would be easier to learn how to ride a 2 wheeler and I was right. what a great machine. Well now the suspension and power is not suitable any longer. (please keep in mind that I will never get rid of this bike and move to a 250f) My 230 is for desert riding and very mild track riding. When I want to haul ass and get dirty I will just hop on 450r quad. Below is what I purchased but havent installed yet.

Rider:

195 pounds

5'9 1/2 lol

beginner

Power: Pro Curciut T-4 full exhuast

Honda jet kit

Going to remove air lid and add KN Filter

Suspension: Emig Conversion set for 250 forks - Ready to bolt on!

Questions:

Power:

1. With the full exhuast, jet kit, no lid and filter will I see a good power increase? Or do I have to install like a Hotcam stage2 or something like that?

Suspension:

1. What year CR250 Shocks should I go with? (I will get them redone for my weight)

2. Im looking at a rear shock also. Trying to not spend 800.00 for a rear shock. Any recommendations. Will a stock 250 shock work? or just go used?

Wheels:

1. Will I have to buy a 250 wheel and hub or can I use my 230 wheels and hub.

2. If I do have to go with a 250 wheel and hub, what size do you recommend to make my stock 230 rear wheel?

Thanks in advance for all you help.

Hey Rickky Bobby, Im in the process of upgrades (almost done). I used the Emig stem pressed in a 03 CR250R triple tree and 03 CR125R forks. It is bolt-on with CRF230F bearings and seals. You will have to make steering stop and mod tank. I used the 125 wheel and brakes. Yoc can use the 230 wheel and brakes but you would have to modify the axle. On the rear I used the Works shock. I used my TT signup discount for the shock to kind of help the cost. Search this site these guys share a lot of knowledge! Good Luck

Since you're on the tall side, I would setup your bike to have the frame raised higher up for better ergonomics and ground clearance. Something like 36" seat height vs. stock 35" height. The new upside down forks you will be getting should remain at stock extension. Don't get the forks lowered internally, which is what you'd have to do if you were re-using the stock shock. Then, to raise the back end up 1" higher, you should get the Works shock w/ remote reservoir, their premium line. Yes, it's expensive, but it will do several things that you'll need. The bottom clevis on that shock can be extended out, which makes the overall length of the shock longer, which will raise the back end higher up to match the forks' extension. THus, this shock can be used with stock forks or forks off another bike.

If you purchase it through Works Performance, they will valve it and spring it exactly for your weight and MX & Desert conditions. This custom valving alone is a $250 (benefit)expense no matter what shock you go with. THey will also take into account that you're fitting a CRF230 w/ Showa twin chamber forks.

Thank you very much guys.

I didnt think about the height at all. That makes perfect sense. I will be calling works today and speaking wih them about what I will need. Dam I thought my trx450r was a money pit (2800 just in shocks and a arms lol) now this thing. Well hopefull if I do ever go to a 250x I will be able to sell my aftermarket parts off my 230 before I sell it.

To be honest - Im really torn between the fork conversion and just putting better springs and heavier weight oil in my stock forks now. Wat do you guys think. Should I spend the 1000.00 and do the shock conversion or just better springs in the stock one with a works rear. Please keep in mind that Im a beginner. Just dont want to spend the money on a fork conversion if people our doing it just for racing. Cause I will not be racing it.

Also thanks for the link to the article. Great read and I learned a ton.

The problem with your situation is that you're using a 230F to MX. THe stock forks won't cut it for MX, they're perfect for offroading, and barely do-able for desert & whoops. It's the landing off MX jumps that make the fork conversion a worthwhile mod.

But whether you use stock forks or put aftermarket forks, the Works shock will work perfectly for either setup, provided you buy the shock that is compatible with both setups.

My advise is to go ahead and get the shock. Then even if you don't want to go all out on CR250 forks, you can still mod the stock forks to work rather decently for MX. Get the BBR h/d springs. Then next, modify your forks to fit the Racetech Emulator valve underneath the spring. This is a simple $125 mod. that will firm up the damping on your stock forks. You have to remove the inner tube out from the fork, and drill 4 holes through the inner tube, reinstall, preset the emulator according to instructions, install inside fork, fill fork w/ thicker fluid, insert spring, thread cap down and you're done. The emulator increases the compression damping, and moving up to the thicker fluid increases rebound. This setup will produce a very, very good fork, great for a noob doing MX. It does have its limits, and that limit is felt when the forks flex pretty hard should you come down and land on the face side of a jump.

Then later on, should you want to move up to CR250 forks, you can still do so and the Works shock will accomodate those longer travel forks w/out having to do anything.

Ok that was exactly what I needed to hear. I will move in that direction. I just cancelled my order with emig and going with the BBR setup. Thank you very much for the direction. I think gradually setting up my 230's suspension for my riding ability is the best way to go. I was about to dump a lot of money into suspension that I may not of even needed right now. I just sent your post to a friend and he knows what your talking about and can help me do the work. I will keep you updated on my progress.

Thanks again bro!

If more power is required, the mods you listed will barely be noticeable.

For the price of the pipe, jet kit, filter, etc, you can almost get a big bore kit which will be hugely more powerful. Just put the correct main jet in for $6, no need to buy a kit.

Two things. If you put the big bore kit on you will still be yearning for that pipe, jetting and filter you were talking about wouldn't you. Second thing, I have a 230f with bbr springs front and rear, when you do that I had to go with a little thicker suspension oil to counter act the new extra speedy rebound. The bbr stuff makes a world of difference, not mx quality, but very confidence inspiring compared to stock.

Thanks guys! I actully have been seriously been looking at the bbr stuff. As for power I think I will start with the pipe and jetting and then go from there. I will want the pipe anyways down the road.

Thnaks again for all your help.

Best bang for the buck rear shock solution is to give John at Hlebo Bros. Suspension a call. He will take your stock 230f shock, revalve it and set the spring to suit the terrain you ride on and your weight. Given your weight he may recommend an aftermarket spring though. His pricing is VERY reasonable. Got mine done a couple months ago, and it was the best money I could have spent!

From what I've found on here too is an easy way to get 1" of ride hieght in the rear with the $800 adjustable works spring. Get the lingake off a CRF150F, the triangle part by the "dog bones". From what I understand, if used like on the 150, you will lower the rear, but if flipped it will give you the +1" you're looking for.

I'm also a little curious on if you opened up the cockpit any. I just got a 230 and find the peg to bar ratio a little cramped, and I'm only 5'7"ish...

I've got a post in the Thumpette forum, complete with my own little wish list for it :busted:

Another option, sell the CRF230F, take the money plus the $1000 you would spend upgrading the forks and shock and engine and buy a CRF250X. You'll have more power and superior suspension components and better handling.