Sign in to follow this  

NEW to me 08 Woods YZ250!

Howdy folks, I've been lurking on this site for a long time, and researching bikes and such to no end.

I got my first Moto, earlier this summer, and went from an old trusty XR200, to finding a good deal on a woods dialed YZ!!!

Let me preface, I've been riding street for 12years, been on a track, and riden down hill mtn bikes at a pretty high level for just as long, so I'm no stranger to throttle or gnar!

I am pretty stoked with the new rocket it came all gaurded up, and with a Rekluse Z pro, fmf gnarly, carbon pipe guard...

I don't think I could have jumped onto this YZ without the rekluse being such a novice to the dirt, it has saved my bacon several times.

I have taken to Woods riding like kid in a candy store! I haven't been this stoked about a new sport since I was 13 and discovered mtn biking and the world beyond pavement!!! I live in the Interior of BC and have the luck to be friends with some very experienced Woods riders, that helped push me to a two stroke when in all my research a 4 $troke was what seemed to be the right choice.

I just ordered and installed a G2 Ergo, throttle cam to try and control the "whiskey" throttle, as I've had some sphincter clenching wheelies!!

I also purchased some BRP bar mounts to get a bit more up and forward on the bars, my friend has a KTM with adjustable bar mounts and liked his bar position.

I started this thread as a review in progress with the modifications and my abilities!

Thanks for all the great threads, on these bikes, I hope to add to the discussion with this ongoing thread!

Once you get the hang of controling the power your going to love it! My 2005 Rm250 is set up very similar and I had some pretty awesome un-wanted whiskey throttle wheelies in the woods haha. But now I love the bike!!

Howdy folks, I've been lurking on this site for a long time, and researching bikes and such to no end.

I got my first Moto, earlier this summer, and went from an old trusty XR200, to finding a good deal on a woods dialed YZ!!!

Let me preface, I've been riding street for 12years, been on a track, and riden down hill mtn bikes at a pretty high level for just as long, so I'm no stranger to throttle or gnar!

I am pretty stoked with the new rocket it came all gaurded up, and with a Rekluse Z pro, fmf gnarly, carbon pipe guard...

I don't think I could have jumped onto this YZ without the rekluse being such a novice to the dirt, it has saved my bacon several times.

I have taken to Woods riding like kid in a candy store! I haven't been this stoked about a new sport since I was 13 and discovered mtn biking and the world beyond pavement!!! I live in the Interior of BC and have the luck to be friends with some very experienced Woods riders, that helped push me to a two stroke when in all my research a 4 $troke was what seemed to be the right choice.

I just ordered and installed a G2 Ergo, throttle cam to try and control the "whiskey" throttle, as I've had some sphincter clenching wheelies!!

I also purchased some BRP bar mounts to get a bit more up and forward on the bars, my friend has a KTM with adjustable bar mounts and liked his bar position.

I started this thread as a review in progress with the modifications and my abilities!

Thanks for all the great threads, on these bikes, I hope to add to the discussion with this ongoing thread!

sounds a lot like my setup ...I have an 06 ..the G2 will help (as does the rekluse) but you will still have some sphincter moments with the yz (that's why we love it) when you snap the throttle.

make sure you have a skid plate, and that the suspension is revalved for the woods (best money you can spend) and you'll have a phenomenal woods bike that is great for racing Harescrambles.

I race with both knobbies and pirelli mt43's (trials tires that last forever and are great in the woods (rocks, roots etc))

Have fun you will love that bike and its bullet proof.

You buy Waynes YZ 250?

That would be the bike! Wayne was pretty sad to see her go, can't say I blame him. I put the old plastic back on so I didn't wreck the nice set right off the bat.

Took the bike for a quick spin, with the 400 cam installed and rode 2-3 inches of snow... I'd say the cam helped!

6330408949_5d0d3fa217.jpgIMG_0267.jpg by CB750r, on Flickr6330408949

Nice, ya the white plastic was definately in good shape. That picture was up in inks? I went out Sunday with a guy in greenstone. Took him to my practice loop , then we hit some gnarly single track. I have a complete set of stock springs, complete topend kit including gaskets and a Yamaha owners manual if your interested, I also owned a 08. Anytime you need anyone to ride with I'm down.

Thanks, thats up on Greenstone, my friend lives on Beaton RD. Will keep in touch!

That would be the bike! Wayne was pretty sad to see her go, can't say I blame him. I put the old plastic back on so I didn't wreck the nice set right off the bat.

Took the bike for a quick spin, with the 400 cam installed and rode 2-3 inches of snow... I'd say the cam helped!

6330408949_5d0d3fa217.jpgIMG_0267.jpg by CB750r, on Flickr6330408949

dude you need to dye that tank! (IMO)

Do a search for Hollywood MX tank dying!

Nice bike though!

Well I just read 30 pages on that subject with no clear answer how it works on clear Clarke tanks. Plus I just took off a pretty sweet plastic and decal kit and went to old beat up blue, so I'm not all that concerned with looks at the moment. Have you dyed a clear tank?

That clear Clark tank will suck up dye liek you cannot imagine. Clear is much easier to deal with than covering up blue.

Plus, the clear tnaks always turn brown..baby shit brown as soon as gas gets in them.

I've got my winter tires to finish, ground is getting pretty frozen here.

I've got my winter tires to finish, ground is getting pretty frozen here.

I heard you stopped in to see Geoff at GP moto. Are you planning to do any racing next year?

Ya if I think I'd like to giver a go! I think I need to put on a few miles before I'd feel ready so maybe not the first one next spring. Hoping I get to ride a bit through winter, to get a good feel for the bike. Plus I would like to dial the suspension in but need to get some time in the saddle so I can talk knowledgeably with geoff on what I feel the bike is doing.