Sign in to follow this  

Concept 2 & knee pain

Wondering if any of you C2 owners have a suggestion. I purchased one about 6 months ago. Used it alot at first and developed knee pain on my right knee only. I also ride a bicycle. Have a funky schedule so I can only excersize two to three times per week.

Pain I have is on the outside and just above the knee cap. feels like soft tissue type pain, not joint. I do get "popping" due to tracking issues. Seems the more I ride the bike, the less pain and popping I get. Lately I get the pain more often when I row.

I do have a very sedentary job, sit for 12 hour shifts 4 to 5 on, 4 to 5 off. Because of this my excersize routine is pushed to my off days only.

Anyone ever developed the pain from starting to row? Any suggestions to minimize? Love the rowing but have been avoiding it lately.....

Yes! What I found out is that I had to do specific knee rehab exercises

for months to strengthen the muscles around my knee.

Just google rehab exercises for the knee.

My knee felt fine, then I got the rower. I think it revealed a weakness I had.

I have a rower too and have never had knee soreness, as a random suggestion you might move the seat back a few notches to see of that helps.

Have a great day, keep us posted on your progress!

Jason

Have been rowing for two years, never really had any knee pain but as a suggestion I would go the the www.concept2.com and review the proper rowing technique to make sure you are not performing the motion incorrectly. You can see a video here:

http://www.concept2.com/us/training/technique.asp#technique

I review it about every two months to make sure I am performing the motion correctly. You might also consider having someone video you rowing an post it on the concept2 forum for others to evaluate.

Update:

Viewed the video of technique for rowing and I'm in good shape there.

Did some searching on the web and ended up watching a youtube video about McConnel Taping method. BINGO!

100% improvement in terms of knee pain and the feeling of pulled or torn soft tissue around the knee within two days. I am amazed! Guess that means I have some rehab to do to improve muscle balance and such, but I am pumped to find something so easy make such a vast improvement. WOW.

Posting this in hopes that someone else finds some relief.