Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Rider Magazine - Do they have enough ads?

So I recently got my copy ofthe Dec/2011 Dirt Rider magazine - a long time favorite of mine. As I was flipping through it, it seemed to me there was this ridiculous ratio of ads to reading material.

So I did some counting. Inside cover to inside back cover = 123 pages. To be fair and lenient to the magazine, I counted any page with at least 1/2 page worth of reading material counted as a 'reading material page.' So, tie goes in favor of the mag. Whenever there was greater than half a page dedicated to an ad, it counted as an ad. Here were the results:

70 pages of ads

53 pages (actually less) of reading material.

I don't think that's cool. Maybe let them know here if you agree.

Yeah all of the mags have gotten pretty bad about ads over the past few years. It would be nice to see a mag that isn't loaded with ads and has a fair amount of good reading material.

I don't know if you caught the other recent thread on here about the decline of quality in Dirt Rider's publication but it's not looking good for the magazine. With K.Kramer gone & J.Lewis on his way out I believe DR may be coming to an end if someone does not take the reigns and steer it in a different direction than it is going now. If they must have more ads to survive then maybe they should add more pages of solid content to make up for it .

Thats a shame. It was a really good magazine. I did notice KKwas gone, didn't know JL was leaving, but geez......maybe they're running out of stuff to write about.

Seems, though, the industry is as alive as ever with plenty of new models and accessories to write about.

Capitalism is a wonderful concept! It's as American as America can get!

So is choice.

Don't buy it if you don't like it.

If you get the subscription, its like 1$ an issue. The adds keep it cheap. I would rather have a $1 mag with adds than $7 mag without them.

i agree. transworld is for (i'v used this a few times before) 12 year old kids who don't own a bike and play way too much mx vs atv.

That's not too bad. I receive Transworld MX and that has a ridiculous amount of ads. I also receive a weightlifting/bodybuilding magazine that is about 80% ads! Really, how many different sugar loaded creatines need to be on the market? lol

Any Transworld mag, doesn't matter whether it is MX, Skate, Surf or Snow, is pure drivel.

Anything American has too many ads. I never realized just how bad it is here until I spent 4yrs in the UK. I just cant set and watch any TV live. It has to be DVR so I can forward through the commercials. I cant read RacerX because of the amount of advertizing. I'd pay 3x the subscription for less ads and more content. Seriously.

Capitalism is a wonderful concept! It's as American as America can get!

So is choice.

Don't buy it if you don't like it.

Oh, cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Since you missed the point, let me put it this way:

It's like when you get married, and all is awesome, then the quality of the product declines, declines, and declines.

Yeah, you could just go straight for divorce (like just not reading the magazine) or you can give feedback to the significant other and see if they can turn it around.

But go ahead and give up at the first sign of a challenge.

Oh, cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Since you missed the point, let me put it this way:

It's like when you get married, and all is awesome, then the quality of the product declines, declines, and declines.

Yeah, you could just go straight for divorce (like just not reading the magazine) or you can give feedback to the significant other and see if they can turn it around.

But go ahead and give up at the first sign of a challenge.

Good post. I believe some of us are hoping our complaints will be heard/read and not all have the "don't buy it if you don't like it" mentality which is typical thinking from some. I want the magazine to be better.....again. DR >>was<< my favorite mag right up until about the time KK left and things started to change between the cover & last page.

It seems like JL and the staff are now just throwing things in between the ads for the only purpose of getting the issue out to the news stands and subscribers like myself on time without the prideful filling of good reads. I don't care if I'm getting it super cheap as a subscriber because I don't get the mag just to say I'm getting it. I like to enjoy the contents and when that becomes sub par, I'll let my subscription go.

It's not that there is nothing to write about out there in motorcycle land, DirtBike is throwing out some awesome issues this year but I'm hoping things will get better for DirtRider. With Jimmy stepping down though it will be interesting to see what Chris can do with it ??

Let's hope. If we don't let them know what's on our mind, then they'll think everything they're putting out is great.

Pretty sure my first post was 'whine free' so any of you who agree they need to step up the quality of their content, please let them know here.

Chances are they've read this, but if not, I can always forward them a link to this thread........on FB, mind you.

Thx for the replies, let's help point them in a better direction!