Sign in to follow this  

Which Dual Sport?

I currently ride a 2003 KTM 200 EXC 2 stroke. I am looking to get a dual sport which I csn still ride on the trails, but also hop on the road and ride around town. What do all of you recommend and why. The obvious choices are the KTM's, Husqvarna's, Husaberg's etc.

Thanks for the input

It depends on a variety of factors...your weight, height, skill level, budget. You are riding a very good trail bike...light and nimble with plenty of power. As you are probably aware, most any dual sport will be a tank compared to the 200. Without having more information, I would suggest a KTM 450 EXC.

A lot depends on how much you will be riding on the street or highways and how much you will be riding on technical trails. No bike does both well. The spectrum of dual sport bikes is wide, because of this.

Also, choice depends significantly on how much you have to spend.:busted:

Personally, I don't mind a "heavy" bike. My D/S weighs in at 320lbs. I don't know if that's the full, curb or dry weight. I have my D/S and I have a street bike. Nothing dedicated to dirt.

The one thing you do want to consider is if you plan to do any highway (above 60 MPH) riding because this will likely put you into a heavier larger displacement bike. Not only for power at highway speeds, but also for general stability. A lighter bike is going to be more easily blown by the wind and passing traffic than a heavier one. Also, if you find you like a bike with a top speed of 70 mph, I would keep it off the highway. Sure, you can keep up with traffic, but you have nothing left cutting your circle of escape down 3/4ths or less and you really want as much of that as possible.

But before you even get that far, I highly suggest finding and completing a Motorcycle Safety Program.

Enjoy and good luck.

If you want a trailbike to run around town on, you can't do much better for your money than a DRZ. And keep your KTM. Its just not right to get rid of good bikes. You should always acquire till your garage is full. Then put the nice ones in the house.

Thanks for all the responses......I currently ride mostly single track trails, but I live in a rural area where I can putt around town and catch trails as I find them. So the whole riding the road thing will be limited to just that. This will not be a highway bike or a commuter. And I took the MSF Safety Course and have had my endorsement for years. I agree it was a good course and recommend it to others.

Thanks

I have a 05 ktm 450 exc great bike. Buy it ride it be happy you bought it

Another vote for the 450EXC

I thought about the plate with the new law starting in January, but I don't think the 200 would be the best bike around town.......It is a great off road bike, but I don't think I would want to do too much road riding with it. I was also thinking more along the 4 stroke lines. If I get a ways away from home stopping for gas would be much easier. Anyway thanks for the advice.

I went with the 530 EXC. I wanted more torque off the bottom and less 'revy' than the 450. Both great dirt-oriented DS's so you can't really go wrong with either. Get the later year models as they have the bugs worked out for the most part. The 2012's are nice but I ain't gonna be the guinee pig for first year bugs lol.

I had a DRZ once upon a time. Too heavy for any real serious woods riding. It's do-able but you'll be cursing it up and down for being so damn top heavy and the suspension leaves little to be desired. After you sink money in it to make it somewhat more tolerable you'll be right back to what you could of had with a better (read: more woods capable) used bike like a 450/530 EXC. I liked the DRZ but couldn't learn to live with it for the type of woods riding I do. If it were only fire roads and light trails then I would of been fine with it.

I was looking for a 525 but couldn't find one in my price range or they had high miles.

For $800 through ktm you can buy the 525 cylinder and piston the head, cam and bottom end are the same as the 525