Sign in to follow this  

Where to ride on Long Island

I am in college right now and over the summer I helped my parents and brother move cross country from Seattle to Long Island. My family was nice enough to drag my dirt bike, my car and a bunch of my tools and other junk with them. I was leaving this stuff at home until I graduated and decided where I'm going to live.

Since Thanksgiving is coming up and I am going to be home I figured I would try and go riding with my dad and brother. It turns out there aren't any trails to go riding on anywhere near Long Island. In fact they have to drive 3+ hours to Brick New Jersey before they get to any trails.

We all really like trails and although the track is fun its not worth the $1500 a year membership fee ($1500 according to my brother). My brother wants to sell his bike and get a ... jet-ski:bonk: My dad would then sell his bike because he isn't going to go by himself, and this whole time I've been contemplating selling my bike, I could always just get another one when I graduate, its a 16 year old YZ250 nothing too special.

Does anyone on here live on Long Island and where do you go to ride? When I went to the where to ride page I saw that there is private land and tracks on the island, and you have to drive way too far to get to any place with trails. Stupid city, getting in the way of the woods!:busted:

There is a track called LIMX in Yaphank. It is a great facility with a well maintained track. The cost for membership varies if you want to pay as you ride, or annually if you plan on riding a lot. Generally it is $35/day. LIMX.com

There is also a track in Ronkonkoma though I don't know the name. As far as I know it is an annual membership and may be around $1500.00. Sorry, I don't know much about that facility.

There was also a planned facility that was attempting to operate in Riverhead, but they were getting a boatload of grief from the Town.

You can try to google Long Island Off Road Vehicle Association, they run organized rides through the Pine Barrens. LIORV.org

Hope this helps.

there are NO legal trails on long island, only the 2 tracks that were mentioned. If you have a street legal dualsport, there are fire roads in the pine barrens in manorville. Weather or not its legal is up to the DEC officer who stops you. If you venture off of the fire roads, you are doing something illegal. The pine barrens have great trails cut thru trees growing in only 2" of soil with nothing but sand beneath that. The wear and tear of dirt bikes thru this sensitive environment is highly frowned upon by local officials. DEC often does sweeps and impound of your bike is probable...guess how I know?

That sucks ickfinger, did you get your bike back? And the LIMX track looks like something I should get them to look into. But still no trails, so lame.

I just got impounded on said fire trails. The DEC is all over the Manorville Eastport area. Ride with caution.

Long Island MX in Yaphank is $200 for a family for the year and then $35 per day for the first person, $30 for the second and $25 for the third. You never have to pay for more than 2 ride days in a week, in other words, your third day and any more than that in a week will be free. $1500 is the unlimited riding price for a family, no daily fees. The track is well groomed and there are flaggers every day. This is where I ride MX and I like it a lot. Check islandmotocross.com.

Club MX in Ronkonkoma does not offer daily pay-as-you-go riding; only unlimited season membership. I believe it's about $1200 for an individual, not sure about a family membership. This track is not groomed as often as LIMX and there may be no one there when you ride. You get the keys to the gate and come and go as you please. Check clubmxny.com.

The Calverton MX track does not offer pay-as-you-go riding, either. An individual membership is about $1200 per year. I have never been there, but video of the place looks really good. Supposedly it's hot and cold as to whether they will be open, though I cannot confirm that. Check http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/new_york_14216/map_4a90.htm.

Trail riding is virtually non-existant on Long Island, though I have friends that tell me it's the best riding ever and they never get caught because they know where to go. Still, I won't risk it, even on my plated dual sport. To me, it's worth the trip to Lost Trails in PA for a hassle free day of riding or to NJ for legal dual sport trails.

Edited by bg10459

Its Deer hunting season out in pine barrons... crawling with DEC. Not a good

time to take ur chances