Lots of KX 65 help needed!!

I don't know whether to split these questions up as i'm a but new to all this but....

My ex got my son into motocross and has now left and I am doing my best to learn so he can keep up with it.

He has a KX 65 that he's only ridden once due to breaking his arm and so it's been sat for about 5 months and now won't start. I'm planning on replacing the spark plug but I'm wondering if anyone know what the recommened one is (we don't have a manual)? Whats in there is a BR8EG but looking round on the forum people seem to be using a 10 or something else completely so I was hoping someone had a manual and could let me know.

And if that doesn't work, any suggestions on what else I could try bearing in mind I know very little about bikes....

Which leads me onto my next query, I've tried looking up the VIN to find out how old the bike is without success. I've looked up what all the characters mean and according to the VIN it's a 1980 model. Is that right? Does anyone know if they made them then? Can't find anything on the Kawasaki website to suggest they did but thought someone might know.

And..... has anyone got a manual of any sort? I've looked all round the net for about two hours now and can't find anything. Bring back his PW50 thats all I can say!

If you are going to replace the spark pug, o so with a NGK BR8ES. As for the model years, kawasaki only started making kx65s in the early 2000s. Before that they make a kx60. If your bike looks something like this http://www.bikez.com/pictures/kawasaki/2002/19826_0_1_2_kx%2060_Image%20by%20Kawasaki.%20Published%20with%20permission..jpg , then it is a kx60.

If the bike looks something like this http://www.bikez.com/pictures/kawasaki/2005/21494_0_1_2_kx%2065_Image%20credits%20-%20Kawasaki.jpg ,then it is a kx65.

I think all the kx65s are almost exactly the same, except for graphics, and the same applies to the kx60s, so a manual for your respective model(60 or 65) should cover pretty much everything you need.

If you are going to replace the spark pug, o so with a NGK BR8ES.

OK, thanks, I will attempt that tomorrow. Definitely looks like a 65 and has KX065 in the VIN.

The VIN as I can read it is JKBKX065AAA011845

Its those three A's in the middle that don't look right to me. I thought maybe they were 4's but I've checked and they are defnitely A's.

I'll just got for the earliest manual I can find on the website and go from there.

Also here is a workshop manual for a kx65:

Thanks for that. The service manual I'll be having but the owners manual is a bit steep. I'm in the UK and would work out at about £18. I'll have to hope something else comes up or try and find somone with one.

I noticed you were in the UK, thats why the links are to ebay of UK. There are a lot more manuals on there, so that owners manual is probably not the cheapest one on there, just the first one I found.

I've just had a look. I thought I'd already tried Ebay but obviously not. Clearly a blonde moment.

Just this weird frame number to sort out now. I guess it doesn't matter that much but I like to know. I'll have to try and find the engine number tomorrow see if that helps.

Question, Was the fuel drained out of the bike after your son got hurt. The reason I ask is that gasoline does not lost long at all before it goes bad. If the gas has not been drained, the carburator will probably have lots of gunk in it and be clogged up, causing it not to start. To fix it, the carb needs to be removed and cleaned. Is there anyone who could help you work on the bike?

Just a side note, the kx65 does not have a tank that hold the two stroke oil like the pw50, so the 2 stroke oil must be mixed with the gas to the correct ratio prior to putting the gas in the bike. You might already know that, I just wanted to make sure.

No, fuel wasn't drained, and to be honest it could well be the same fuel that was in there when it was first bought so who knows how old it is.

I have a friend who might be able to help. We had a ktm before this and he cleaned the carb out on that for me.

I knew it was pre-mix and from reading on here and some of the specs on the kawasaki website think I'll go for 32:1

Think its going to be a busy weekend..... love learning new things tho!

Ok, I just wanted to make sure on the premix thing. But if your friend could help you with the carb, that would be good. Make sure you watch what they do, just incase you ever have to do it yourself. Its really not too difficult, just a bit intimidating to anyone who hasn't had much or any experience working on anything motorized. Good luck!

(eur) jkbkx065aaa009001

Thanks for that. The numbers aren't the same though are they? Is that because this bike doesn't exist??

How did you get to 2001? I thought 2001 would be a 1 for the tenth character?

Actually that's probably going to be too complicated to explain on here. Maybe what I've been looking is US numbers??

Right, I've changed the spark plug and the bike starts beauitfully. I've drained the fuel and started fresh.

Now though when you put the bike in gear it just cuts out as if the clutch isn't pulled in. Any simple ish things I can look at on the clutch side???

the clutches are probably stuck.

A way to fix it:

-lay the bike over on its left side

-remove the clutch cover

-remove the pressure plate

-take out the clutch discs, and separate them by hand

-put the discs back in, in the same order they came out

-put the pressure plate and clutch cover back on

and it should work fine

Edited by KAWIman35
bad ideas

Thanks for all your help. I will try the first and see how I get on. Might even try the second just to see whats going on in there. I started riding on the road 6 months ago and would rather experiment on my sons bike than on mine!

OK, before you jam it into gear at 1/4 throttle and possibly damage something further. I highly suggest getting in there to see what the hell. It's too easy to just drain the oil, pull off the clutch cover and take a little look-see. It may be a worn basket, bad clutches or maybe even stuck plates. A few 10mm bolts hold on the pressure plate which allow you pull the plates and mic them.

Refer to the FAQ section at the top of this 2 stroke board and go to the clutch & KIPS thread. ( i know, you don't have KIPS). Then if it needs a new basket, look again, there's a pictorial of a basket change. Also, an OEM basket comes complete but you'll pay for that and still be stuck with a cast piece instead of billet. Your call.

I didn't try KAWIman's first suggestion in the end as letting the bike warm up and then giving it some revs three or four times allowed me to put it in gear without it stalling. Try and start it up and even if its warm it will still stall but a few turns of the throttle seem to sort it. I think it could maybe just do with being ridden properly before I tackle anything else.

• 2 weeks later...