Sign in to follow this  

What is this bolt for?

Hey guys...i was just wondering what the bolt on the right side of the engine is for... the one beside the 750mm.

The part number is 286685-3 and on the Thumpertalk OEM diagram it is labeled number 14...

Thanks.

that small bolt with the copper washer was meant to check trans side fluid level, although imo you would be wise to fill the trans side above that mark and up to or very close to the bottom of the big plug that is located right behind it and slightly higher.

whole lot easier to fill and check if you just lay the bike down on the side and take out the big allen plug up and to the rear of that plug.

I put 800cc in the big allen plug using a ratio rite to measure oil. I don't bother with that check bolt. Shut off fuel, lay the bike over, measure oil, pull plug, pour, install plug, pick up bike...done. Plus trying to fill through the fill plug is a pain and makes a mess.

I use a funnel I bought at walmart for $2. fits perfectly in the small fill hole, has a shutoff valve and is a measuring cup with cc on the side. I hook it with a coat hanger to my handle bars and walk away. Also comes with a lid and a cap for the other end for no mess.