Sign in to follow this  

my battery is dying overnight

hey guys ive got a 2008 crf 230-l and my battery is dying overnight i got a new battery and fully charged it but it keeps going dead itll start 30 times in a row but after 12 or so hours it wont turn over any ideas?

I've had 2 crf230fs, an '03 and my current plated '04, and I never ever turned the ignition off on either one. Never had any battery drain problems . . . even after they set for a week to 10 days in the garage.

Yeah, the 230 is infamous for having battery issues. Read online for supporting posts. First off, try using a Battery tender or trickle charger. Also learn to push start it in second gear so you can be safe on a trail if your ever out by yourself. This is a good lesson for those of us who had been screwed way out in the bush alone in full heaving riding gear. Try to push start it on loose soil in a tough hill with full riding boots and being tired as hell.....if you don't start it, you are in trouble. :busted:

I would start by checking all the connections. Take them apart and clean them well and apply a dab of dielectric grease to the surfaces. Be sure the ground wire from the battery to ground is very clean.

The dust on top of a battery when damp can get a very low level trace going, this is what increases the drain on a stored battery.

I would start by checking all the connections. Take them apart and clean them well and apply a dab of dielectric grease to the surfaces. Be sure the ground wire from the battery to ground is very clean.

The dust on top of a battery when damp can get a very low level trace going, this is what increases the drain on a stored battery.

Item 1 would be for battery charged but loads not working. Dirty/bad connections can not drain battery.

The most obvious first test is to remove one of the cables and with every thing off get a multimeter and see if there is any current drain. If you don't want to get a real meter, just take a small 3W bulb and connect it between the cable and the post. If bulb lights something is on.

If this is simple 230F with no Dual Sport kit, I would check the rectifier. Find it and unplug it over night and see what happens.

hey guys ive got a 2008 crf 230-l and my battery is dying overnight
He has a CRF230L, although you may have missed it due to the lower case l in his message. So 230F comments are not relevant.

OP, do the meter rundown to find the leak.

He has a CRF230L, although you may have missed it due to the lower case l in his message. So 230F comments are not relevant.

Actually they are, just more things (switches) to check for leaks.

Oh yea, and lastly, these are little batteries, it might be dead and not able to hold a charge. See if you can get the battery tested....

Good point......you could unhook battery each night, if it still goes down, it is bad. Yuasa batteries are best IMO. Battery should read one volt higher when running, if rectifier is working.