Sign in to follow this  

help with what to get?

So ill start with I'm 6'2" and 235lbs. I'm fairly new to bikes. And looking for my first bike. I rode my friends drz 400sm with dirt tires, pipe, jetkit, filter. And loved it, rode some trails, fire roads and some pavment. Seems to be plenty powerfull, but I'm told from others (me friend just got it himself) that there's not great highway bikes. I know I'm not looking at buying a cruiser, but being able to ride highway for a while is something I want. Maybe some drz owners can chime in here. So I'm up in the air, do I look more at the drz400,dr650,xr650? So long story short something decent on highway hauls, decent in trails etc. I know I can't have it all, but pros and cons would be exelant. Thanks in advance, brent

DR or KLR 650's sound like a couple you need to check out.Being in NS the fairing/windscreen on the later KLR's would come in handy for the cold.Both bikes enjoy a fanatical following.I'm in Virginia and main rides are DRZSM & DR 350.My ride to work is 16 miles so I can put up with the short highway hooliganism.If I were to ride more highway the two aforementioned would be looked at hard and possibly an XR650 also....Good luck

The DR650 or XR650 would be very heavy for any type of semi technical trail. They would be decent on fire roads, non technical trails, and the pavement.

the 650 will have more torque

you can alter the gearing on the 400 to suit your needs

+1. I know a guy that owned a DR650...its a torque monster, but not particularly quick.