Sign in to follow this  

Carb float bowl leaking...

Ok so I was having problems with idling, I cleaned my carbs, put them back in and it fixed the problem. But now I have a new problem with one of the carbs float bowls leaking. I have now taken the carbs on/off five times. The last time I decided I would try to make my own gasket out of paper. Low and behold, it didn't work...

It worked for about a minute then started leaking again. So I am about to go buy some real cork gasket to make my own AGAIN.

Is there any other reason my carbs would be leaking gas? I've wiped the carbs clean multiple times and it appears it is coming from a leaky float bowl gasket. Just before I do go buy the cork gasket, is there anything else around the same vicinity that would leak this badly?

What sort of carbs,,twins or singles. Getting the rubber gaskets for the singles is not an issue,,twins is. You didn't read my thing on making paper gaskets yesterday and just use paper did you..I did mean for people to use proper oil/gas resistant type gasket paper..not just a piece of paper,,You sure it's coming from the bowl and isn't leaking from one of the upper overflow tubes??,,if it's the overflow tubes it'll be the needle valve above the float that needs replacing..

PS ,,put what bike you own in your signature then we don't need to ask what model bike you're talking about..

It's an 85 XR600, dual carbs.

I bought some cork gasket to make your own and it's supposed to be gas resistant but did nothing.

No it's not coming from the overflow tubes because it's not coming out the tubes. It's just leaking out of the middle of the carb and dripping down the bottom.

I've wiped the carb clean and opened the petcock a couple times to check where it's coming from and it's toward the inside of the bike/middle of the left carb.

I'm checking the ACV cover but I can't imagine why gas would be leaking out of it.

GOT IT!!!

After another inspection, it was a broken o-ring on one of those plastic pieces that connect the two carbs.

whew, I'm glad I figured it out...

So it wasn't my homemade gasket after all. :busted:

Still glad I got this cork though, $5 for a huge sheet. It's so easy to make your own gasket, definitely going to use this stuff from now on.

Hell, I might just replace all the side cover gaskets just for fun. hahah jk... But at least I'll have it for when I do need it!

Thanks for your help Horri.

well I take that back, it did not work. -.-

I'm at a loss of what to do. I really can not think of anything at this point.

well I take that back, it did not work. -.-

I'm at a loss of what to do. I really can not think of anything at this point.

take the carbs off, clean them up nicely, and fill the bowls on the bench?

Ok yeah I did end up fixing it. It was actually one of those fuel joint sets but funny enough it was not the one with the broken o-ring???

I just ended up switching the o-rings around on the bottom joint set and that worked like a charm, for now anyways...