How much did you pay for what suspension work?

Hey there,

I'm in the Portland OR area, and looking to get my suspension rebuilt. Just curious who in the area does what sort of work for what price. I'm thinking if people could list what they had done, how happy they are with it, and what it cost that would be nice.

I am looking for a re-spring, re-valve, and re-build (bushings, seals, etc) on my front forks and rear shock on my 99 YZ 250 with an 03 YZ 250 rear shock.

Pro-Motion Suspension in Vancouver - Dave does a great job & knows his stuff. I have had work done in the past by all the big names and Dave's stuff has worked the best. Price is individual so can't comment on that but it's worth it..............

I've heard of promotion. They did work on my WR400 and I was pretty happy. Just curious who else is out there and what not, and what their prices are. Maybe there is some hidden gem I don't know about? Maybe I'm paying way more than everyone else, etc etc.

Good info shrubitup, that's for revalving and rebuilding everything, and then $250 for the springs while in there, guesstimated prices?

It would be really nice to hear specifics though, for example:

I had promotion do my 1999 WR400F suspension. Re-spring, revalve, and full rebuild (seals bushings, oil etc) for $650. It was a bit rough at first, but once it broke in and with some minor clicker adjustments it worked pretty good all around.

Establishing a relationship with a suspension tuner will help you in the long run. He will become more familiar with where you ride, your skill level and how you like your suspension to feel.

I have used Dave at Pro Motion for 3 bikes, he has done a great job on all three. He is always available to answer questions and I am sure he is tired of hearing from me. :busted:

Later,

I had my shock rebuilt Saturday night of the Washougal WORCS by Justin of WR1. Full rebuild,heavier spring,and nitrogen recharge was $250. I don't know if these guys that travel the country in a box van following the racing series normally do that or not. He just happened to be the friend of friend who got ahold of me and asked if I needed anything done. I hope to have him do my forks next year. I didn't realize how bad the shock had gotten until it was new again.

I've heard of promotion. They did work on my WR400 and I was pretty happy. Just curious who else is out there and what not, and what their prices are. Maybe there is some hidden gem I don't know about? Maybe I'm paying way more than everyone else, etc etc.

Good info shrubitup, that's for revalving and rebuilding everything, and then $250 for the springs while in there, guesstimated prices?

It would be really nice to hear specifics though, for example:

I had promotion do my 1999 WR400F suspension. Re-spring, revalve, and full rebuild (seals bushings, oil etc) for $650. It was a bit rough at first, but once it broke in and with some minor clicker adjustments it worked pretty good all around.

Those are not guestimated. Those prices are published on his website so no guess work there. 2007 YZ250. Respring. Revalve for trail work. Sa-low ridah mowshun. Adjusted clickers and sag without being on bike. Double checked. Was good. Took a month is only complaint.

Why don't you just call the different suspension guys? There is more to it than price. Do they know the areas that you ride the most? Is there people around here that can recommend them? What is their theory of suspension design and setup? Will they re-shim for you if it isn't what you are looking for the first time around?

There are lots of shim-shufflers out there...I would rather pay $500 to somebody that knows my bike, riding style, riding terrain and is willing to adjust as necessary than pay $350 to some guy that has some generic shim stacks that any trained monkey can install. I want a guy that really understands the theory of suspension design and knows how to make it do what I want.

I personally use Smart Performance, Inc out of California. DaveJ (his TT name) takes a real interest in your set up and asks lots of questions and offers lots of ideas. His theory of design differs from most suspension tuners and I have found that it works exceptionally well for me. Suspension is his passion. He will also give you what you need if you want to do it yourself.

No really... what you got... how much it cost.

I know a slew of suspension dudes. Looking at cost for work.

I know a few people that have tuners begging them to do their suspension for free.

You should probably call and tell the different shops that you heard this and tell them they should do yours for free. :busted:

I am not sure what your fishing expedition is about.

You may have to pay the dbag tax, who knows. :busted:

Later,

• Like 1

I think it's a fair request, he is just trying to find what others are paying so he can try to get the normal rate. For some reason when he called around and told all of the suspension guys that he wanted to have the most shredical suspension on the west coast they were telling him it would be a grand at least.

In their defense, they had no clue exactly what it means to do shredical suspension work so they quoted high in case it ended up being harder than expected.

• Like 1

I think it's a fair request, he is just trying to find what others are paying so he can try to get the normal rate. For some reason when he called around and told all of the suspension guys that he wanted to have the most shredical suspension on the west coast they were telling him it would be a grand at least.

In their defense, they had no clue exactly what it means to do shredical suspension work so they quoted high in case it ended up being harder than expected.

:busted: