Sign in to follow this  

California Stonyford Conditions?

Anybody been in the last 5-7 days? Headed up tomorrow and staging out of Little Stony. Trying to get a gauge for snow if there is any yet.

Thanks

-t

Be aware that there is a enduro at Stony on Sunday . :busted:

The WFO enduro is this weekend, at Stonyford.

http://www.ama-d36.org/Raceinfo/10210_2011EndR07flyer.pdf

Club members will be out Friday and Saturday setting up the course.

I think it stinks that the USFS does not issue a closed course permit. Area trails remain open to recreational traffic during the event. Heads-ons have occured in the past.

Weather conditions and the snow on the ground may cancel the event? However, this decision is usually made at the last minute.

Support the Valley Climbers MC and enter the WFO enduro. Go somewhere else.

I feel like there are too many enduros at Stonyford. I've noticed that they have torn the heck out of the trails, especially Letts Ridge, and I think trail 43 was really torn up last time we rode. Stonyford is the absolute best place for us to ride, when you ask us to go some other place, there aren't any that compare.

If your not going to ride the event. Your best bet would be to show up at their start line about 20 minutes after the sweepers leave but before the paperboys [ sign collectors ] You can ride the entire course with signage makes for a great ride with less chance of a head on.

we are heading up with ower quads for the machine groomed trails:lol::busted:

Don't forget to bring the kwad removal tools just in case Dana rides down the shag again:smirk:

Support the Valley Climbers MC and enter the WFO enduro. Go somewhere else.

How does going somehwere else support the Valley Climbers????

I feel like there are too many enduros at Stonyford. I've noticed that they have torn the heck out of the trails, especially Letts Ridge, and I think trail 43 was really torn up last time we rode. Stonyford is the absolute best place for us to ride, when you ask us to go some other place, there aren't any that compare.

We can't run letts ridge because of private propty issues so it can't be the enduros that tore it up.

there are three enduros there a year. that is 3 days out of 365 per year. or if you want to be pestimistic. 3 weekends out of 52 per year. i don't think that is so bad.

the trails are torn up more, IMHO, from the place being so popular, (via internets,) and being able to be open more time out of the year. this increases the traffic on the trails. Also more people ride now, in the 80's i would camp there on thanksgiving weekend and there might have been two or three other camps. now it is a circus on thanksgiving weekend. or any holiday weekend for that matter.

also there is less money given to the rangers to maintain the trails, so the mini dozer that blades the trails is ran less often and then trails like 'Old Mill Ridge" gets in the condition it is now.

but don't worry too much cause the enduros are dieing out. less and less entries and more and more work and costs to put them on will eventually kill them off. when my father road these events in the 60's and 70's there would be about 750 riders or more. now we are lucky to break 200 on the Jackhammer. this year we got less than 150.

How does going somehwere else support the Valley Climbers????

Sad that this needs explanation...Why anyone would want to ride an area during an event is beyond me, participate or ride somewhere else. :busted:

Particpants/Clubs support our sport.

Enduro clubs have been active partners, helping to keep trails Open and legal for decades. Those of you who ride Red Sticker bikes would no longer ride Red Sticker bikes on public land, since 1-1-1997, if Enduro riders/clubs did not support AMA/D36 LAO Bill Dart's effort, to work out a compromise, with CARB. The Red Sticker program.

Over the years several club members/event volunteers have been injured in head-ons, with recreational riders, during event set up. In addition, injuries to particpants during the event.

Some think Stonyford is a great place to ride? Years ago the clubs created "Enduro" trails. We had miles of legal single track to ride, thanks to the Enduro clubs. In recent years, 1986 to this day, Old Enduro riders have witnessed the systematic and wilful mismanagement of OHV areas, like Stonyford. The destruction of Enduro trails has led to a significant decline in rider participation. Who wants to go ride "System" trails? The attraction to Enduros, in years past, was the virgin single track. What have they got for us, this time? Now it is the same old, machine groomed, Quad Crap! Unsustainable Quad Crap routes, below grade, rutted, whooped out...Wider, faster and much less safe, compared to a "traditional" enduro single track trail.

Much higher speed averages are now used. Sections that would be considered transfer sections in years past. Are now Special test sections, with speed averages greater than 30 mph. That requires the best riders to reach speeds over 50-60 mph to maintain a 30 mph plus speed average.

I think it is just good, old fashioned, common sense to ride somewhere else during an event. Also a good opportunity to check out a, "new to you", riding area.

By particpating in the event, your going with the flow. A portion of your entry and card fees, helps keep riding areas Open and Legal to ride. One may be introduced to routes you have not ridden before. Stuff that is not part of your "normal" loop.

The down side for the "forum experts" is the clock does not lie. Those that attempt to create the illusion that one is a good rider on a forum, should never ride an Enduro. You should remain in your fantasy world and keep telling yourself, how good you are. :busted:

I get it dude. I was just playing because it appeared as though you said ..."Support the Valley Climbers, go somewhere else.

I have to imagine you meant....."support the Valley Climbers OR go somewhere else"

The operative word there would be "OR".

Thanks for your explanation though.

I'll be somewhere else sunday. No need to ride stony during a event when there is 350 (holidays and enduro weekends excluded) other days to go.

Good education for me, Dave. Thank you. BTW, I would definitely love to ride an enduro, and I went to the district 36 site to see about entering. I found that almost all of the races are on Sunday. For me, that day is for family and church...so, I guess I'll just have to read about them. As for Lett's Ridge (someone else said enduros aren't ridden there due to private property issues), I think it was either last year, or the year before, I went up it after an enduro had been run at Stonyford, actually, I think it might have been the Sheet Iron run which I guess isn't an enduro, and found it to be twice as badly rutted as it had been the time I rode it before. Trail 43 also has a section that is torn up really badly also. Anyway, I would love to enter a race if they were on a Saturday.

the cowbell enduro is on saturday, as are the family enduro's, Fred Sumarall is the D36 pastor, he will tell you its ok to miss church on sundays! check out RUTS (racers under the son)

Last time I was there and we rode thru the snow. Not a good idea I snapped my bars clean in half. lol Really fun riding back!

"he will tell you its ok to miss church on sundays! check out RUTS (racers under the son)"

I'll miss a Sunday here and there to ride, but I was looking into getting into racing, and that would mean missing a lot of Sundays. I'm probably a little too old to think about getting into racing anyway. I'm approaching my older years with heels firmly dragging:ride: