Sign in to follow this  

1997 klx 300

I've found an ad for a 1997 KLX300 that states it was running, but jumped timing

and broke the exhaust cam and the cam chain. Price is 400.00 negotiable. Is this

a bike worth looking at? I'm looking for a project as I am about to retire and thought that this may be worth a shot. I'm not looking for a serious trail/track bike, but just something that might be fum to play around on in the dirt. Any input would be welcome. Thanks

I've found an ad for a 1997 KLX300 that states it was running, but jumped timing

and broke the exhaust cam and the cam chain. Price is 400.00 negotiable.

You may be looking at putting more $$ into the repair than the bike is worth. Along with the exhaust cam and timing chain, there is potential head, piston, cylinder, rod, crank, and crank case damage.

Ride on

Brewster

Brewster,

Thanks for the information. After some research, I'm inclined to agree with you. It just looked like an interesting offer/project. Once again, thanks for the reply.

Still might be worth a shot for a learning experience. Is the motor already torn down or at least the head pulled so you can inspect it? Ask the owner if he is willing to do that. If the valves have not broken off, and if the cylinder is not scored, then you can easily fix it. If the head and cylinder have to be replaced, then all you are buying is a frame with wheels.