Sign in to follow this  

First time on the track... Scared!

So I have been riding for a year or so, on a 97 RM250. I love hauling ass through the whoops and throwing it around tight, rocky mountain trails. Recently I've shed my super tall gearing and desert tank, and stiffened up my suspension. I've started to jump a lot at local riding spots and hit little tracks people have carved into the wilderness. I have been invited to our local MX track by many of my friends, but I'm scared outta my mind! I have no clue what I'm doing, and don't want to get hurt. I don't even know how the track works, like if a lot of people start at once or if it's open!

Any tips or advice for my first time? I've heard a 250 smoker is a lot to handle on a track, and all the threads I read were about how to go faster, not how to start out!

I don't want to ruin my first MX experience...:busted:

Here are some pics of the track, if it helps...

http://www.happytrack.com/html/track_pics_0.html

Every track is different .. Some break open practices down into 20-30 minute sessions by skill levels (a-b riders together) (c-d riders together) then small bikes and some just let you ride whenever u want . Best advice would be to go on a day the track won't be extremely busy (if possible) and just ride with common sense .. If ya hear someone coming up on u fast , get out of the main line and move to the right of the track.. It can be nerve racking your first time or 2 out . I know I was nervous my first time ever on a track .. On your breaks between riding, watch some of the better riders, u can learn a lot that way.. Ride within your limits and don't try to impress your buddies your first time out . Just go out and have fun with it . Once u get out there you'll be hooked!

Remembers me a lot of a track that use to be around here. Looks like a pretty fun and safer track.. Jump landings look nice and rounded , not peaky like a lot of tracks.. If u get the itch to try out your wings, start with the table tops and just gradually increase ur speed hitting them or if some of your buddies are hitting the smaller doubles , follow them over it when/if the time comes.

Well you have to start somewhere. Looked like there were a few table tops and pretty easy rythm section. Just watch practice (hopefully you are just going there to practice) for a while to see how people are entering/exiting the track, lines people are using, what speeds are required to clear the jumps, etc. Of course, you probably won't be jumping all the jumps, but if you feel confident, i'd start with a small double or table top. At first, just make sure you ride on either the right or left side of the track(not the middle) and don't get out of your line if you hear someone behind you.

And a two stroke will do just fine on a MX track. Not too long ago, everyone rode one!

I would suggest watching a little then just ask one of your friends to take yo on a parade lap,feel out the track and practice on a few little jumps, when your comfortable move on to something bigger or more challenging for you.

after that run a pace lap, fallow someone who is getting over everything and just follow there line and pace their speed and you will figure out the track in no time.

If ya hear someone coming up on u fast , get out of the main line and move to the right of the track..

I Think This is very bad advice, You should never try and move out of a line when you hear someone coming up behind you.

When you hear someone stick to your line because the other rider if they are much faster will have no problem going around you and by the time you hear them they will have already chosen their line to get around.

So don't worry about behind you and don't weave around.

But the main thing is to follow people who know the track and watch the different lines the faster guys take. But go out and have fun and DON'T push it too much

I picked up my 1st dirt bike Saturday & went to Milestone MX beginners track. Never rode a dirt bike before (riding 1 year of road race bikes @ Willow Springs) I had a blast, cleared the jumps (can't believe I was getting air) and then did one lap of the Vet track...bad idea.

I'd have no problem riding the vet track as long as I was able to spend some time learning it.

Take it easy, you'll need to learn the track. Take the outside line and stay there.

Riding an '87 RM 125 with messed up steering head bearings and an extremely heavy clutch.

Have fun junior.

That track looks S W E E T !! , It also looks very safe , it has a lot of tabletops , so its not like you have to jump doubles or triples , you should be able to roll everything there until your confidence builds up , , just work on one section at a time , dont try to do everything on the track , that will come with practice !

As stated HOLD your line when faster guys are along side or coming up behind you , they are faster and will know how to get around you , if you suddenly change lines , you will most likely piss someone off and cause a wreck , just dont use both sides of the track (dont ride back and forth , just hold your line) , if your on the left stay on the left unless no one is behind or beside you , try different lines (inside corners outside on corners) and see how you and your bike setup works with that , choose which makes you most confident for you , the key is confidence , and NOT riding over your head , just because your friend does a jump , does not mean you are any less of a person for rolling it , if you crash because you rode over your head , you learned nothing , and you might be too injured to ride the next time everyone goes , then you will be pissed at yourself , its easier to work up your skill than to ride over it and have to start completely over because of a injury that could have been prevented !!

Just watch the fast AND slower guys and see how they attack the track , look for guys about your skill level , and try to do what they do , then keep watching the fast guys , they know the lines , they know the proper speed for each section , and usually they dont crash

Edited by 450XJimDirt

I Think This is very bad advice, You should never try and move out of a line when you hear someone coming up behind you.

When you hear someone stick to your line because the other rider if they are much faster will have no problem going around you and by the time you hear them they will have already chosen their line to get around.

So don't worry about behind you and don't weave around.

But the main thing is to follow people who know the track and watch the different lines the faster guys take. But go out and have fun and DON'T push it too much

I should of stated my comment a little better .. I by no means mean to swirve across the track to get out of the way .. But if you're getting ready to enter a turn and hear someone on your heals, stay wide so they have the the inside line . I know when racing nothing would be more frustrating that a lapper or slow rider holding the main line but it's just part of riding/racing . Like stated , faster riders will get around ya.. I've seen a lot of people through one hand in the air(right hand to pass on the right, left hand for the left side) as a sign to let ya pass , that may work for ya . Ride you're pace and youll have s blast

Just hold your line period!. Dont ride on just one side of the track or the other. Just be predictable and let the other riders pass you. and what ever you do...DONOT change your line approaching a jump or on the face of a jump. If you stay in the main line then other riders can pass you in the alternate lines. Thats where you would be passed anyway during a race. Just take it one step at a time and like I said let the other riders pass you.

Just stay within your limits. If you go out on a mx track the very first time and start trying to jump, you'll leave in a lot of pain. If you stay within your limits and take it slow, you'll be fine. Be safe.

I ride tracks alot and some times Im even one of the faster riders out there, I appreciate people holding there line, plus it makes it more fun for me to work around them....BUT if there is someone extremely fast out there and i know they are behind me I will make sure they see me looking back at them and I WILL move over for them (its pretty obvious when I do it) then I will fall in behind them and see how long I can hang......but you should never ever swerve or anything in front of fast riders!

not gonna lie, that track does not look very beginner friendly....you see that rhythm section? a first time track rider would not have much fun there IMO

With the 2-stroke, don't get too greedy with the throttle once you're on the face of the jumps. Stay forward on the bike up the face of jumps with your head over the front # plate. Let the bike push you up from the footpegs, not pull you with the handlebars.

Learn the right techniqes now, and you won't have bad habits to break later..

(elbows up, stay forward, weight outside pegs thru corners, relax grip on bars, etc...)

__________________________________________________________________________________

Read everything this man has written and practice, practice, practice:

Gary Semics

TT MX Technique Expert

:busted::worthy:image.php?u=31186&dateline=1121120467Become A BETTER RIDER HERE

:busted::worthy::bonk::worthy:

Having been a recent new rider to motocross myself (early this summer) here is my advice to you:

The track is as big as risky as you make it. Roll over everything the first lap to get a feel for it. From there, pick and choose your battles. You won't be able to hit 3/4 of the track the way it was meant to be right away, but with time you'll develop confidence and skill and it will become mindless to you.

Having been a recent new rider to motocross myself (early this summer) here is my advice to you:

The track is as big as risky as you make it. Roll over everything the first lap to get a feel for it. From there, pick and choose your battles. You won't be able to hit 3/4 of the track the way it was meant to be right away, but with time you'll develop confidence and skill and it will become mindless to you.

Agreed. I just started out this past summer myself and this was the approach I took and still take. Start slow and small. If you're going to jump start with table tops. Dont worry about being the slowest one out there, everyone has to start somewhere. Also dont forget your body position while riding, its easy to forget when you are trying not to break any bones and getting passed by faster riders.