Sign in to follow this  

2012 KTM 250xc, setups, guides and opinions

I bought a 2012 KTM 250xc, here is my setup so far with the bike, a few pictures of what I have added and why. I hope to continue this as a guide for any advice, opinions or questions regarding these bikes.

Here is the bike after 5.7hrs. Before I even rode the bike, the suspension has been revalved. A bladder kit was added, X-trig preload adjuster, and heavier springs and new pistons on the front. The suspension is setup for a 210lb expert rider.

2012KTM250xc006.jpg

Here is the X-trig preload adjuster. If you get your suspension done, get this put on during you revalve. This thing make preload adjustment a snap. My sag started at 100mm, after 3hrs I set it for 98mm.

2012KTM250xc007.jpg

Trailtech Hr Meter installed since new

2012KTM250xc008.jpg

Map switch KTM hardpart. Have to say that I do feel a small difference, in soft setting it makes the bike less jerky

2012KTM250xc009.jpg

GPR V4 steering stabilizer. IMO, these babys are a must on KTMs. I didnt have it on for the first 3hrs due to thinking the bike would be quite different to the way my 09s were. All my KTMs have needed it. I leave it on the number 2 setting.

2012KTM250xc010.jpg

Acerbis Disc Guard. Thought it was cool, makes way too much chatter as you can here it bang against the disc. Will take it off when my graphics kit comes in.

2012KTM250xc011.jpg

Moose Hand Guards. I like the openess of them and they dont feel as bulky as the Cycras do.

2012KTM250xc012.jpg

Goldentyre 230. Not my favorite GT but alot better then the Dunlop MX 51

2012KTM250xc013.jpg

With 5.7hrs on the bike, Im quite happy with the way the new KTM are. A few random thoughts of what I think so far....

ENGINE: The power is kinda unexciting compared to my YZ 250. Going to put in a red spring at 10hrs and see what that does. The motor works great in the rocks and roots compared to the YZ. No wild hit. The 6 speed is a blessing. The extra gear is great for that odd fire road. Im running Motorex at 50:1 with 94 octane but will be switching to Maxima with a 50/50 mix of race to pump gas. All my gas is filtered.

Suspension: Phenomanal. I had trouble with "one does all" setup but this '12 seems to be better overall. There seems to still be a little clatter noise during breaking bumps. Im running a softer suspension setting that is more supple compared to the YZ. The YZ was great for big hits and g-outs but the KTM hasnt been tested to the extent of the YZ so only time will tell. I like the 98mm over the 100mm so im curious to see what 96mm will bring. Again the X-trig is a hot ticket and I recommend it highly.

Chassis and Ergos: Its still a KTM, but feels very Honda like in the shroud area. The chassis like to be ridden aggressively and I feel benefits hugely from a steering stablizer. The tank feels somewhat wide need the middle of my boots compared to the 09s I had before. The bike tracks well and feel solid still. The quailty is amazing as always.

Edited by Pumpkin450sxf

A decent wipe out led to this little mishap. The pipe itself was bent around the frame and she was crushed in pretty good. We will atempt to blow it out and bend it back. A new FMF fatty is on the way!

oops001.jpg

oops002.jpg

With 7.2hrs on the clock, the bike still runs great. Its running a little rich off the bottom but with the throttle being so touchy I welcome it. Going to do a oil change soon and will provide pictures.

oops003.jpg

OEM KTM pipes are notoriously thin gauge metal.

Not sure an aftermarket pipe would have fared much better in this case. Thats a pretty heavy hit.

Do yourself a favor and trash the stock throttle cable. Install a 4-5" longer Honda CR cable in front of the bars and down behind the CDI.

a search of this forum username Gary jp4, "Honda cable" should yield his post with the part #'s.

Do yourself a favor and trash the stock throttle cable. Install a 4-5" longer Honda CR cable in front of the bars and down behind the CDI.

a search of this forum username Gary jp4, "Honda cable" should yield his post with the part #'s.

Why. How would it justify the cost

Why. How would it justify the cost

haha, cost? have you priced a Honda cable??? about $15.

have you read the thread about the throttle sticking?? small price for some peace of mind.

All things aside, I have looked into the reports of the throttle sticking and have witnessed this to a minor degree when I took the tank off to install the map switch. As for right now, I will be wiring the cable to the carb as I get my pipe blown out and changing my oil. If the throttle shows any signs of sticking, I will replace it with a Honda cable.