Sign in to follow this  

My bars keep going crooked

I tend to throw my bike down on the right side when it pops up on a hill.Almost every time now my handle bars go crooked and point to the right. I cant put the front wheel against a tree and beat on the bars til they go straight, but then if i throw it down again they get knocked back. I'm sick of having to put it up against a tree, is there anything i can do to adjust and tighten up my bars. I loosened up the risers and where they bars are clamped but nothing moved. 07 yz250f

it's not the bars that are moving, the forks are twisting. One thing you can do is take the forks off (and i mean completely) and then put them back on. This may not seem to make a difference, but it will let them fit in the clamps properly. Also make sure you don't over tighten the bolts, as i believe they are only to be torqued to 15 ft-lbs or so.

it's not the bars that are moving, the forks are twisting. One thing you can do is take the forks off (and i mean completely) and then put them back on. This may not seem to make a difference, but it will let them fit in the clamps properly. Also make sure you don't over tighten the bolts, as i believe they are only to be torqued to 15 ft-lbs or so.

What he said^^^. Plus, while they are off the bike, clean the tube and inside the clamp. Dirt will tend to get in there and it prevents the clamps from properly holding the fork tubes.

Step One; As stated above you need to take everything apart, clean and reassemble with proper torque. My son's bike did this. Look for metal that is stripped when you disassemble. Those parts need to be replaced or it will keep happening.

Step Two; Use your clutch more and adjust your weight forward when you are going up hill so you stop laying it down.

Thanks guys i appreciate all the input. I'm gunna take a look at my triple tomorrow to see if i can tell if its bent. But as for ripping it all off I will probably do it next week, probably riding for the last time sunday :busted:.

as above - take the fork tubes out and clean everything, use a torque wrench to retigthen.

Also check the nut that holds the top triple clamp on, from the top of my head is has a very high torque setting and is part of the equation to hlding you forks in line.

throw it down on the left side and see if yur problem goes away.

• Like 1

couldn't resist. but all the response so far is spot on. I'm pretty sure the torque is 15 ftlbs on both top and bottom but ya kinda alternate bolt to bolt to snug em down.

I'm pretty sure the torque is 15 ftlbs on both top and bottom .

already said this.:busted:

In the future after you got everything cleaned up and torqued right, your forks will still twist if you crash hard enough, the way I've found the best to realign them is loosen the bottom triple clamp and all the axle bolts. Then just slam on the brake hard while rolling forward a few times and it will align its self right up. Don't forget to torque everything back up. The better your forks are aligned the better your suspension will work too, even just a little out of alignment can make them feel stiff. I don't know if its diferent in the new manuals but the torque spec for the front axle bolt is wrong. It's way to tight and will strip the nut. I found that out the hard way.

Triple clamps may be bent. It may be really difficult to ascertain, but if they are bent then the forks can twist on easy tip-overs.