XT225 questions

Hello. New member here. I am looking at a 2002 XT225 with a little over a thousand miles on it. First off, I am 5' 11" 205 pounds, and want to use the bike for a 4 mile commute and explore back roads close to home. Will this bike haul me around OK? Second, is $2200 a fair price? Third, are there any issues with these that I need to know about?

Thanks!

i owned an xt225 for 10yrs:

good: reliable, low seat height, elec start, choke mounted on instrument cluster, street legal, decent fuel mileage

not so good: these things are cold blooded! you will choke the crap out of it, sometimes to the point of running the battery dead just trying to get it started, not enough power for my 175lbs, suspension is the weakest link-fire roads are ok, woops you will be doing the slow roll over, watch the rear spokes - they like to loosen up.

the price seems a little high to me, kelly blue book lists them at $1,750. if possible, i would shop around for an xt250, i think you would be happier. i am a big yamaha dualsport fan & presently own a wr250r and am very happy with it but they are more $$

Hello. New member here. I am looking at a 2002 XT225 with a little over a thousand miles on it. First off, I am 5' 11" 205 pounds, and want to use the bike for a 4 mile commute and explore back roads close to home. Will this bike haul me around OK? Second, is $2200 a fair price? Third, are there any issues with these that I need to know about?

Thanks!

For your size a xt225 might be a bit too small, and that price is way high for a 2002, i wouldnt go above $1500 for a 10 year old bike.

i just got a 2009 XT250, love it! look for one of those maybe or a WR250R if you can find one for a decent price.

Thanks!

I know of others that are taller and heavier than you, and ride the XT225 with no problems. Yes, the bike will haul you around.

The $2200 pricetag is a bit high, I would offer $1700-$1800.

They are a little cold blooded, but that is an easy cure. I've never had mine not start on the first or second hit of the button, even if it had sat for 6 months. Some have problems with the spokes. If you check them regularly, you shouldn't have too much problems. I ride mine fairly hard and have even jumped it, and I haven't broke any spokes....:busted:

I had two of the XT 225 for 8 years me and the GF of a total weight of 300 pounds went through the woods highways with no problems of stress, I have twenty four thousand miles on it never let me no where's, I just upgraded to XT 250 and it's just not a strong take off on the first gear like the XT 250, the 225 has 6 gears, the 250 has 5 gears, there's a big difference when it's time to climb a hill with a passenger on the back, I'm looking to go back to my xt225

Don't get it as highway bike unless you are prepared for some serious mods.  If I could swing a WR250 I would find one of those.  More money up front, but it is truly a go anywhere do anything bike.  I started out only intending to do short local rides, but I liked the size of the bike so much I wanted to do more.  I've modded it to suit my needs, but a WR would have been a better choice up front.