Tips to remove old Steering Bearings & Races

2005 YZ250

I have done the search thing on here and read a lot of helpful things, I just need some more info and some clarification.

At the moment I do not have any special tools, so I'm looking for some simpler ways/tips to remove old steering races and bearings.

I will be probably trying to knock them out if I can, and if I can't get the inner bottom race off I will take that part to the shop and get them to install the new one.

Also I'm a bit confused what parts to put in the freezer or oven to help install the new bearings and races.

Any tips and hints are appreciated. :busted:

Thanks

Bearing race inthe freezer or dryice it. Throw the bike in the oven to heat frame. JK not the bike. If you dryice the Race and use a heat gun on frame in about 10 or so mins it should jus fall in. My experience anyway! Clean first real good then put Ur triples in oven 250degs. 15 mins then the dryiced bearing should slip right on.

Bearing race inthe freezer or dryice it. Throw the bike in the oven to heat frame. JK not the bike. If you dryice the Race and use a heat gun on frame in about 10 or so mins it should jus fall in. My experience anyway! Clean first real good then put Ur triples in oven 250degs. 15 mins then the dryiced bearing should slip right on.

LOL couldn't quite fit the bike in the oven

Cheers, So you can put the bottom bearing & race in the freezer.

and put the triple clamp and stem in the oven at 250 for 15mins?

Darn, just the other way around. Bearing inoven triples in freeze. Duh, it was late. This is the only way I know how to do bearings. Falling short of the proper tool/presses. DO you really do paranormal investigating?

Something to keep in mind. Bearings and such are pretty fragile. Especially when exposed to extreme cold. So try n not smack with hammer.

The races will come right out if you heat the frame around them, then give them a good smack with a punch. Then, heat the frame again and put the frozen new races in. I have a homemade press I made with some bolt stock, nuts and washers, and it worked well, for about $1.50.

Darn, just the other way around. Bearing inoven triples in freeze. Duh, it was late. This is the only way I know how to do bearings. Falling short of the proper tool/presses. DO you really do paranormal investigating?

Something to keep in mind. Bearings and such are pretty fragile. Especially when exposed to extreme cold. So try n not smack with hammer.

LOL no worries thanks mate.

So the bearing won't be affected by being put in the oven?

Yep I do Paranormal Investigations

The races will come right out if you heat the frame around them, then give them a good smack with a punch. Then, heat the frame again and put the frozen new races in. I have a homemade press I made with some bolt stock, nuts and washers, and it worked well, for about $1.50.

Cheers for the info.

Do you have any photos or info of the press you made?

I still can’t get these races out.

I have barely any lip probably 1mm. I have tried heating up the frame with a heat gun but that hasn't helped me so far. How hot does the frame need to get? When I heat the frame the race heats up as well, which is probably defeating the purpose??

I heard that you can file or cut a small notch in the seat where the race sits so you can punch it out easier. Is this recommended? or will it wreck my frame?

I still can’t get these races out.

I have barely any lip probably 1mm.

I had the same problem on my 05. I used a c-clamp to hold the punch tight against the frame, so it wouldn't slip off. I then could smack it pretty good about five or six times and then do the same on the other side. Came out in about 10 minutes.

I had the same problem on my 05. I used a c-clamp to hold the punch tight against the frame, so it wouldn't slip off. I then could smack it pretty good about five or six times and then do the same on the other side. Came out in about 10 minutes.

Oh right, there a bugger aren't they!!!

Thanks for the info!!!

Just trying to picture it in my head. So you clamped the punch tight against the frame and hard under the race lip and then gave it a few good hits?

Oh right, there a bugger aren't they!!!

Just trying to picture it in my head. So you clamped the punch tight against the frame and hard under the race lip and then gave it a few good hits?

Exactly, I wasted about an hour, until I tried this. You can use some duct tape to prevent any scratches on the fame.

• 3 weeks later...