Sign in to follow this  

cr 230 f rear brake problem

My rear brake keeps on locking up on me when i hit the brake. I have installed new pads and new springs. I have adjusted the rod and arm. Still locks up when i apply heavy rear brake.

Any ideas??

Don't pull in the clutch when you hit the brake. Leaving the clutch out will keep the rear wheel from locking in most cases.

If it locks even with the clutch out you may have it adjusted to tight. Did you clean and lube the pivots in the rear mechanism when you had it apart? Check that the arm and shaft are aligned correctly. They have little dimples (dots) stamped in them so you set them up correctly.

Above is good. Also, take the shoes back off and cut groves at an angle in the lining material. That will clean out the dirt that accumulates in there during operation. Old trick. Mine is doing the same thing, so I will go thru it and post what mods I do that work.

To add to what's been said, the locking up could also be coming from rust building up inside the shaft that the rr brake arm attaches to. This shaft has to rotate freely, but over time, and with numerous bike washes where the water puddles inbetween the shaft and hole, the rod gums up and sticks. Spray some Wd40 around that area, and let it penetrate into the hub, then push the brake pedal up and down several times and see if that helps.

If it's not that, then your hub may be past its wear limit and there's a shoulder from the wearing that's hanging the shoes from release. You'll have to take the wheel out, and closely inspect the inner surface of the brake hub for wear, grooves, gouges, etc...

To add to what's been said, the locking up could also be coming from rust building up inside the shaft that the rr brake arm attaches to. This shaft has to rotate freely, but over time, and with numerous bike washes where the water puddles inbetween the shaft and hole, the rod gums up and sticks. Spray some Wd40 around that area, and let it penetrate into the hub, then push the brake pedal up and down several times and see if that helps.

If it's not that, then your hub may be past its wear limit and there's a shoulder from the wearing that's hanging the shoes from release. You'll have to take the wheel out, and closely inspect the inner surface of the brake hub for wear, grooves, gouges, etc...

What he said but start with removing the backing plate and see how free the arm works with shoes and springs installed. If it is sticky at all remove the shaft, clean it, and use grease to put it back together. check for groves in backing plate but they usually stop the brakes from going on not off.

Check pull back spring for the peddle.