Sign in to follow this  

Stupid question, Sorry

Okay stupid question. I used the search button and it didn't find what I am looking for and neither did my friend yahoo. So I turn to you the people that use the bikes. I'm getting a bike soon and was just wondering what is the cost difference when rebuilding a 250f and a 450f. My thinking is that the 450 should cost more but I'm not sure. The engine is bigger but do they use the same parts? Thanks for your help hopefully one day I'll be somewhat smarter :busted:

Pretty much the same,250f might eat a few more valves though.I have been riding 4 strokes for many years and have yet to have one detenate!!

Really isn't much cost difference between them; they're all the same parts, just sized differently.

What he said. The top end kits, valves, cams, etc... are pretty much the same price regardless of the engine size.

Cool thanks for the help. Although it didn't help making my decision any easier. Can't decide between the 2. Reason for 250f is because I suck reason for 450 is because I am 200lbs. But again I go back to reason 1 I suck.

• Like 1

I would go with the 450...or a 250 2 stroke. the 2 stroke will teach you to ride better. The 450 may be a bit easier to ride but it is also harder in some ways

I had a YZ 250 for about a while then before I moved I sold it now after a year I want another one. Only reason I'm leary of a 2 stroke is avoid arm pump

Pretty much the same,250f might eat a few more valves though.I have been riding 4 strokes for many years and have yet to have one detenate!!

Are you talking old school air cooled four-stroke or new school high performance 4-stroke? The XR will run forever...the new 250F are one to rebuild. I had one so I know. :busted:

If you plan on riding tracks a 250f would be good...If you're going to trail ride, dune ride, or do any hill climbs and such the 450f would be good...For woods riding, or low cost, easy maintenance a 250 2 stroke would be good (also IMO the best all around choice if you plan on doing a little of everything)...

Just whatever you do, buy something used, don't get caught up making payments on a new bike that you'll beat to hell learning on, or outgrow and be stuck with...Sell it after a little while and try something else out...It'll take a few years to figure out which bike really suits you...

If I was just starting out, I'd go with a used YZ250 2 stroke prob in the 02-07 range, and spend a little money on suspension (which at 200lbs w/o gear, you're going to want to do) and on setting it up the way I like (new tires/chain/sprocket/grips/bars/graphics, etc)...