Sign in to follow this  

Break in question

So just rebuilt my top and bottom end. read a lot about different break in procedures.

I'm gonna keep it on the stand and warm it up to operating temp for like 5 minutes and shut it down. Hour later, take it for an easy ride going through all gears and rpms with an easy load. let it cool. then have fun with it

my question is should i increase the gas oil/ratio? I normally run 40:1. I dumped more oil in and running 24:1 during break in.

good idea?

No, run your usual mix that you are jetted for.

More oil = less gas = lean = $$$$

yeah i wondering which was better. more oil means everything is being lubricated more for break in. But running lean is bad.

I've heard that its hard to blow up a YZ from being too lean unless you keep running it hard when its not running right(too lean)?

I guess I'm more worried that things aren't lubed well enough compared to the temp/how lean it is...

would anyone else agree?

You want the rings to seat properly, so more lubrication is not necessarily going to help.

You only have a small period to actually seat the rings, and they can only seat properly at higher RPM. Do your heat cycles, re-torque the head and ride

your method is about what i do, i just run 40:1 all the time. I do one heat cycle on stand, one heat cycle idleing around the yard, then one heat cycle riding on trails at house. Let it rip after that. Your going to get all over the board answers. I do good warm ups on the engine every time i ride also. I try to get the radiators warm to the touch before i ride also.

Minus the oil in fuel i do my 4 strokes the same way