Sign in to follow this  

Newb dual sport questions

I've been lurking on just about every imaginable forum for a month now just looking at 650 dual sports. I've read 1/2 a million posts about which bike is better, pros and cons of each, but would like a little input from this forum (I like this forum the best, has ALOT of great info)

A little info...I'm early 30's, 6', 270lbs. just FYI I'm not the most comfortable on a bike and can fulfill my speed needs in performance cars, so I don't need to do 75mph on the road, but it's nice to know I can. What I am looking for in a bike is the ability to ride a fair amount of miles of dirt roads, some pretty nasty no winter (or ever) maintenance roads, and some secondary paved roads (50m or less at a clip). Something that will lug my ass around without stuggling/catching fire/exploding on some of the steeper hills we have here. Would like it mainly for easy-ish cruising around the dirt roads and exploring off the beaten path. I also need it to make it to my house call appts without a hitch...everytime.

It needs to be reliable #1....that is top of the list. I want something that will survive a zombie apocalypse. #2 cheap....I'm looking to stay about $2500 or so, older bikes are ok, along with that cheap thing is fairly cheap aftermarket parts. #3 power...like I said, I'm a big boy, I needs something that feels like I'm riding on the back of an angry water buffalo. Simplicity goes a long ways too.

So far it's looking to me like a xr650l from the research I've already done, but still would like some personal input as if that is well suited to my needs, especially in the area of weight/height. Recently the DR650's look like an option too. So I'll see what ya'll have to say.

I know there are a ton of these posts, but I only want to buy 1 bike and get it right the first time. Thanks

First bike? I'd look into the KLR650.

It's going to be a lot happier on the street than the XR will be. Do the 685 BB kit and that'll take care of the vibrations.

There's also the V-stroms, a little more adventure-oriented than the KLR, not quite the "dirt bike" that the XR/EXC/WR/KLX's are. KLR's kinda the happy medium between the dirt-bike-dual-sports and the adventure bikes.

XR650 sounds about right, if it were me I would look for the "R" model if you can get one plated in your state. (its the liquid cooled model) KLR is another good option but I believe its more street oriented. If you get the XR thats air cooled its a bullet proof model that is tried and true, hard to beat.

DR650 or XR650. Depends: If you think you'll be doing beginner/intermediate off road stuff and a lot of on road or gravel roads I'd go with the DR650. It has a lower seat high, and is better set up for roads.

If you think you'll be doing more advanced off road and not much hi-way riding I'd go with the XR650. Both are good bikes and fairly reliable. With decent maintenance, you should be able to put 20,000+ miles on each bike without too much trouble. Could go a lot more than that too.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I'm going to take a good look at the DR I think to give it a fair shake.

Rocker: It'll be more beginner stuff at first. Once I get used to it I'm sure I'll be more interested in really playing around on the woods trails we have available. Honestly I'll be riding on dirt roads the majority of the time.

XR..DR...KLR...XR..KLR..DR... BORING..... You want a bike that truly gives you

the best of both worlds, is bulletproof, and comes with a SIX speed Wide-Ratio

tranny for comfortable freeway cruising then look no further than the...... you

guessed it.... Husky TE610.

ElkinsFlatmudday-2.jpg

Best of both worlds in one package. :busted:

Good luck finding a TE610 for $2,500. I have the DR, I enjoy it, very durable and easily maintained machine. I thought about the Hondas also but found a deal on my DR. What part of PA are you from that you have all of those places to ride?

KLR= more on road.

XR= more off road and small tank.

Husky= even more off road w/ a 2x4 seat. The 630 is a little better and on sale for about 6K OTD. Husky is having killer deals right now. They are owned by BMW.

DR sits in the middle.

Hey jonboat, I'm in the north central part of the state Tioga/Potter line near Wellsboro area. Lots and lots of dirt roads, trails, pipelines, some play areas like coal mines and abandoned gravel pits.

Husky is a nice bike, but out of my price range.

As an XR owner, I can vouch for the XR's reliability, although I'm sure any one of the 650s will suit you well.

The northern part of the state is a nice place to ride. We used to have a house up in bradford county, there were so many places to ride that it was easy to get lost. Good luck on your bike search!

I haven't been in Bradford county much. It is nice up here, but I wish DCNR would open up some of these service roads they have gated off and some of the trails. Atleast if they'd open it up to atv's and bikes they'd be maintained.

Another plug for the XR-L. Something else to consider is that almost every part or mod that works on the 600, will work on the 650 (air-cooled). The run on these bikes goes back to '93, and since they are still being made (and all model years are almost virtually identical), parts availability, or if you get a good deal on an older one, shouldn't be an issue for a long time.

I think I'm pretty well sold on the XRL now.

The XR650L has a wierd transmission. To get it wide enough for good street performance they put in a granny 1st gear, then 2-5 is same as XR600. The DR has much better ratios.

Save your pennys TE610 has awsom engine and transmission if your ass can stand it.