YZ250 2010 stock pipe different then 2009 stock pipe? Help 2010 YZ250 owners...

The part numbers for the YZ250 exhaust pipe are the same from 2006 - 2011 (part number 1PE-14610-00-00). So I would think the pipes should look exactly the same.

Below is a pic of my 2009 YZ250 stock pipe. Also a pick of a pipe I bought off of e-bay and the seller said it is a 2010 pipe but it looks different then my 2009 pipe.

Is their a way to look at a pipe and determine what year it came off of? Can I somehow confirm the pipe I bought is a 2010 pipe by looking at the pipe?

Would the 2010 YZ250 owners please let me know which pipe their bike came with?

2009 YZ250 stock pipe:

2009YZ250pipe.jpg

2010 YZ250 stock pipe:

2010YZ250pipe.jpg

Here is a review of the 2010 YZ250 and a pic in this article looks like the 2010 pic above. I have seen other 2010 YZ250 stock pipes that look like my 2009 YZ250 stock pipe. Can anyone explain this?

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/motocross/141_1003_2010_yamaha_yz250_riding_impression/index.html

I'm pretty sure that's not a USA model 2010 pipe.

It's probably a 2002-2004 pipe.

The 2002-2004 pipe swoops back around the frame towards the flywheel a bit more.

I think the major change in 2005 was to clear the aluminum frame.

The stock pipe for my 2002 didn't have those gussets.

I bought a 2005 pipe from an e-bay seller that has those gussets.

Here's a pic of my US model 2010 YZ250Z before I started it for the first ride:

IMG_1250.jpg

You may find that it doesn't clear your aluminum frame. I've never tried my old pipes on my new bike.

If it fits the bike you'll find out that the older pipe trades some low-mid torque and hit for a bit of over-rev and a smoother delivery.

I tried and neither the stock pipe or FMF Fatty off my 00 will fit on my 09. They both turn back toward the ignition cover too much and hit the frame down tube.

Thanks for the clarification.

I know for sure the newer pipes will fit the older frames, but I was pretty sure those older pipes would hit the frame rail on aluminum bikes.

If that's the 2010 pipe pictured and then also occuring on the Dirt Rider bike - that pipe is different than the 2009 pipe shown. Odd!

The pipe in that 2010 Dirt rider pic is the same as the one I posted and Whiskey_Throttle's 2009 pic. The shadow, and the poor focus on that part of the image makes it really hard to see that gusset... Take a closer look.

The Pipe in Whiskey_Throttles "2010" pic is NOT the 2010 OEM pipe.

I am nearly 100% sure it's a 2002-2004 pipe. The lack of headpipe gussets and the rearward curve is a dead giveaway.

My guess is that it's either an older pipe or a new run. If you look at the top pipe you can see that it has basically been modded at the factory. There is another thread somewhere about the change. My guess is that they finally ran out of the modded pipes and finally made a new run without the extra hardware.

Based on CWToyota's statement that the 2004 and earlier pipes swoop back more on the flywheel side, I took a look at that section of the pipe and compared it to my stock 2009 pipe. The pipe in question DOES swoop back a lot more. Looking at the 2009 pipe and this pre 2005 pipe, it clearly will not fit the aluminum frame.

The 2009 aluminum frame pipe leaves the cylinder and takes about a 90 degree left turn. The other pipe leaves the cylinder and takes about a 105 degree turn (it definetely swoops back toward the footpeg more).

Thanks - now I have to deal with the a-hole on e-bay that sold it to me as a 2010 pipe. And find a 2006 - 2012 stock pipe in mint condition to buy...

Based on CWToyota's statement that the 2004 and earlier pipes swoop back more on the flywheel side, I took a look at that section of the pipe and compared it to my stock 2009 pipe. The pipe in question DOES swoop back a lot more. Looking at the 2009 pipe and this pre 2005 pipe, it clearly will not fit the aluminum frame.

The 2009 aluminum frame pipe leaves the cylinder and takes about a 90 degree left turn. The other pipe leaves the cylinder and takes about a 105 degree turn (it definetely swoops back toward the footpeg more).

Thanks - now I have to deal with the a-hole on e-bay that sold it to me as a 2010 pipe. And find a 2006 - 2012 stock pipe in mint condition to buy...

I'm actually looking for a replacement pipe for my 2000 Yz250. How much do you want for it?

I'm mailing the NEW (never used) pre 2005 pipe and silencer back to the ebay seller. I paid $150 and the seller is refunding that to me. Message me if you are interested and I can give you the ebay sellers email and maybe you guys can work out a deal and I could mail it directly to you.

The pipe has 5MW10 stamped on it. The part number for a 2004 pipe is 5MW-14610-10-00 so maybe the 5MW10 is the number for a 2002 ???

I can't believe that I did not see that number the first time I looked....

HaHa I was going to post that as I have an 03' pipe which has 5MW10 stamped in it also. Does the 09' pipe have a number in on it?

I shipped it back to the ebay seller today and I'm still looking for a 2006 - 2012 OEM mint pipe.

Thanks for confirming that 5NW10 is a 2003. My pipe is still mounted to my YZ so I can't see the part number. This was at least a great lesson that pipes do infact have part numbers stamped on them...