Sign in to follow this  

tail light on a trail only bike

such as my wr450. why is this necessary? why do they come with them from the factory if they are not street legal? the only thing i could see is so you dont crash into your buddy at night since most stock headlights put out crap light anyways. but it seems like a waste to me. more costly to replace fenders when broken, etc. why do you need em?

The SHNF allows night riding if you have a headlight and.... wait for it... a taillight. Not that the stock headlight on a crfx is going to do you much good!

Part of the EPA regs for "trail bike" status (i.e. Cali Green Sticker requirements) require lights. So far, Cali is the only state that worries about this issue (emissions wise, but not lights AFAIK), and in fact, lead the way and the EPA modeled a lot of Cali regs for the national regs, but it's only a matter of time until other states start adopting regulations to mimic Cali (based on the EPA guidlines).

I believe in Europe. In order to run Enduro circuits you must have a headlight and tailight.

Part of the EPA regs for "trail bike" status (i.e. Cali Green Sticker requirements) require lights. So far, Cali is the only state that worries about this issue (emissions wise, but not lights AFAIK), and in fact, lead the way and the EPA modeled a lot of Cali regs for the national regs, but it's only a matter of time until other states start adopting regulations to mimic Cali (based on the EPA guidlines).
i think this is the answer to my question

i think this is the answer to my question

Yup. When the EPA rules went into affect in '06, it caused a lot of panic since it was an unknown on how things would be enforced moving forward. It's the reason I bought a leftover '05 KTM 300EXC instead of an '06 300 XC-W in '05 after the '06s started showing up (and why the KTM smokers lost their lights and spark arrestors starting with the '06 model year). At the time, there was a concern that we wouldn't be able to ride the newer 2-strokes on any public land. Flash forward 6 years and nothing has really gone forward as far as state's adopting enforcement laws on the EPA regs, or even federal agencies such as the Forest Service adding their own regs based on the guidelines. I guess the people in charge of acting on the EPA regs realize we're not enough of an issue to worry about.