Sign in to follow this  

Dumb question

My new KTM came from the dealer with a completely dry air filter. Is this a sign that I should be wary of the rest of the prep on the bike, or is this normal for them not to do?

Whenever i buy a new bike i grease all linkage and axles and check all bolts to make sure they are tight.ALWAYS CHECK OILS AND GEAR CASES FOR RIGHT AMOUNT OF OILS WHEN NEW!

Whenever i buy a new bike i grease all linkage and axles and check all bolts to make sure they are tight.ALWAYS CHECK OILS AND GEAR CASES FOR RIGHT AMOUNT OF OILS WHEN NEW!

+1

Also check the steering head bearings for grease, they are notorious for putting an absolute minimum quantity inside.

The 300 in particular vibrates a fair bit so get the loctite ready.

Loctite the kick start bolt, gear lever bolt, steering stops and handlebar bolts.

I've almost lost a kickstart and a gear lever on my 300.

+1

Also check the steering head bearings for grease, they are notorious for putting an absolute minimum quantity inside.

The 300 in particular vibrates a fair bit so get the loctite ready.

Loctite the kick start bolt, gear lever bolt, steering stops and handlebar bolts.

I've almost lost a kickstart and a gear lever on my 300.

Good advice there. I was amazed how many loose bolts were on my 300 with less then 5 hrs on the bike.

I got a 2004 200 exc the guy i got it from said he rebuilt the motor. i rode it easy for about 300 miles to break it in. but it has a knocking sound now it doesnt get any louder when you rev.it up it stays the same the power is really good i have changed all the fuilds but it hasnt changed anything. this is only my 2nd ktm i have owned.in my life and thats been awhile. just hoping some body has had the same problem any info would be great. thanks.::

its not a problem. all 2 t has knocking in them. its just if the knockings go away or not when revving it.

The knocking cow.d he a problem but hhw is right in that it likely is not. Try pulling the clutch in while its idling, if that changes the sound then it's just the clutch. And rattling clutches are normal on ktms.

take a weekend and tear it apart every single bolt and do a full prep. most dealers dont do anything except slap it together fast as they can. not to mention they have 16yo punk kids for employees that dont know anything about bikes. probly have a bunch of loose bolts also

take a weekend and tear it apart every single bolt and do a full prep. most dealers dont do anything except slap it together fast as they can. not to mention they have 16yo punk kids for employees that dont know anything about bikes. probly have a bunch of loose bolts also

Punk 16 year old kids are the ones stealing your car stereo. The 16 year olds working at a bike shop after school are probably not the ones I'd refer to as punks. They probably work there because they are interested in learning about bikes. Who really knows sh*t about anything at 16? Under supervised probably better discribes the kids putting together your new scoot.

Edited by timmyp8823

it gets quiter when you rev it up. havent tryed pulling in the clutch. yet going to try it today thanks

if it is getting quieter when revving, could very well be the big end rod bearing. It is about time if your bike has any time on it.

My 05 was doing the same thing. Loud tap/knock at idle and on decel with load, say down a hill. Quiet when revving as everything was moving fast. Clutch knock is more of a chatter.

When the PO says rebuild, did he mean top end or whole engine? something tells me just the top end got the attn.

Sounds like it may be time for a bottom end rebuild.

HI gmoss,

this all depends on what SPECIFIC knock he is talking about. if its a real boog boog knock then thats something else.

if its just a trrriiiiiiit small tiny once and thats exactly what im talkin about. all my bikes has this some worse than others but never the "boog boog knock".

you can hear just any cr250 out in youtube that has this. some i dont even have inside my bike but sure does for them its there. and this is even after they rebuild every bearing inside the bike.

HI gmoss,

this all depends on what SPECIFIC knock he is talking about. if its a real boog boog knock then thats something else.

if its just a trrriiiiiiit small tiny once and thats exactly what im talkin about. all my bikes has this some worse than others but never the "boog boog knock".

you can hear just any cr250 out in youtube that has this. some i dont even have inside my bike but sure does for them its there. and this is even after they rebuild every bearing inside the bike.

of course, but we are talking about a 8+ year old bike that has likely never had the bottom end replaced. the only way you will know for sure is to either tear into it, or listen to it next to a newer 200. BTW, my 05 ran great even with the big end bearing getting ready to fly apart.

For me, it is easy to tell the difference between "normal" engine noise and a definite knock knock knock.

Bad thing is, this is a new to you bike, which makes it harder to know what is "normal" for that bike and what is not.

it sound like a soild knock. but it gets just hair bit softer when you pull in the clutch. but you really have to listin to hear it.

Ialso have a 92 kx 250 it dont knock like that. but the clutch basket rattles a litte bit the kx hasnt had anything done since it was new.still running strong.

I would likely keep an ear on it for now if it is not profound. Mine got louder over time till i just didn't feel comfortable. However, i really shouldn't have pushed it so far.

I would check play on he con rod.