Sign in to follow this  

thinking of maybe converting to sm

ok i have a 2007 E model. have had it for a couple of years but untill recently it has only seen the dirt. now because of high fuel prices i am riding it 25ks to work each day, and i am finding it lacking somewhat on the road.

so.. i have been thinking of converting it to a sm to make it more of a road machine, and cause they look cool.

are there many things that would need to be changed other than the wheels?

would i be better off leaving it as it is, and simply getting a set of road tyres and changing the gearing a little?

which would perform better on the road, a sm conversion, or simply a set or road tyres and gearing adjustment?

Making the conversion right now.. 2003 S to SM. My thread HERE

It just depends on what you want to do.

I would think wheels, brakes, sprockets and a front fender is the base, then go up from there as yours is already road legal, your ahead on many DRZ E swaps.

A SM conversion is going to be a better road ride then just road tires on the 21/18 wheels..

ok i have a 2007 E model. have had it for a couple of years but untill recently it has only seen the dirt. now because of high fuel prices i am riding it 25ks to work each day, and i am finding it lacking somewhat on the road.

so.. i have been thinking of converting it to a sm to make it more of a road machine, and cause they look cool.

would i be better off leaving it as it is, and simply getting a set of road tyres and changing the gearing a little?

which would perform better on the road, a sm conversion, or simply a set or road tyres and gearing adjustment?

sweet, i might start looking for some bits. i will post some pics when i find some. :busted:

btw i have a some surface rust in places on the frame, mainly around the foot pegs, but also around the oil fill. i would really like to clear this up, can you recommend a method, and product to do this?

you mentioned about being ahead of other drze swaps cause mine is already road legal.

that got me wondering, and done a bit of digging around these forums. it seems the E model does not noramlly have the subframe under the rear fender correct?

well i am the second owner of my bike bought it off a friend with 1k km's on it. has not been modified. it came new from shop with all lights, dash subframe with helmet lock. it is definately an E model its says so clearly on compliance plate. is this unusual?

been researching wheels. i can get sm adapter kits here in australia to suit cast 3 spoke CBR250R, and 6 spoke CBR250RR rims.

cant decide what would look better the cast or spoked rims, but because CBR250's are so popular the cast rims can be picked up very cheap.

sweet, i might start looking for some bits. i will post some pics when i find some. :busted:

btw i have a some surface rust in places on the frame, mainly around the foot pegs, but also around the oil fill. i would really like to clear this up, can you recommend a method, and product to do this?

Hit it with a steel wire brush, degrease, primer, and spry with some gunmetal grey.

Other than that, strip the bike, and have the frame powder coated.. If you do that, you MUST seal the oil tank ports with solid plugs.

you mentioned about being ahead of other drze swaps cause mine is already road legal.

that got me wondering, and done a bit of digging around these forums. it seems the E model does not noramlly have the subframe under the rear fender correct?

well i am the second owner of my bike bought it off a friend with 1k km's on it. has not been modified. it came new from shop with all lights, dash subframe with helmet lock. it is definately an E model its says so clearly on compliance plate. is this unusual?

Yes normal for an Ausse E modal.. They come road legal in your country.

In the US, no long rear sub frame, no real headlight, no speedo, no flashers or tail/break lights.

been researching wheels. i can get sm adapter kits here in australia to suit cast 3 spoke CBR250R, and 6 spoke CBR250RR rims.

cant decide what would look better the cast or spoked rims, but because CBR250's are so popular the cast rims can be picked up very cheap.

Yup in AU, the CBR250RR wheels are an option we don’t have here.

If it’s a look you like, and your using it as a street SM…plus they are cheaper than a set of Warp SM wheels or other options.. Then go for it.

Hit it with a steel wire brush, degrease, primer, and spry with some gunmetal grey.

Other than that, strip the bike, and have the frame powder coated.. If you do that, you MUST seal the oil tank ports with solid plugs.

dont fancy stripping the bike, think i will go with the primer, and paint. :busted:

Yes normal for an Ausse E modal.. They come road legal in your country.

In the US, no long rear sub frame, no real headlight, no speedo, no flashers or tail/break lights.

well that clears that up. :bonk:

Yup in AU, the CBR250RR wheels are an option we don’t have here.

If it’s a look you like, and your using it as a street SM…plus they are cheaper than a set of Warp SM wheels or other options.. Then go for it.

i think i might like the look of the powder coated spoked rims better, but the availability and inexpensive price of the cbr rims is attractive. i think i will go with them unless a bargain comes up.

looks like i am going to have to wait till after christmas though. :busted:

You could buy new rims and reuse your E hubs. Spoked wheels I hear are lighter. Spoke wheels are also better If you are going to be doing any jumps. Although I like the look of the cbr250rr wheels.

Where is there a website with cheap CBR250 wheels? Is there an ebay Australia?

Honestly unless you are trying to get max grip when draggin pegs you will probably be fine with some street oriented tires on your 18/21s. I say this having both sets of rims for my bike. I think the SM rims are great but the bike handles better at slow speeds with the 21 front, and can still lean/handle great with the right tires at the right pressure. At least if you think you want more you will only be about the $100-$150 on the tires.:busted:

You could buy new rims and reuse your E hubs. Spoked wheels I hear are lighter. Spoke wheels are also better If you are going to be doing any jumps. Although I like the look of the cbr250rr wheels.

Where is there a website with cheap CBR250 wheels? Is there an ebay Australia?

www.ebay.com.au/

By the time, you buy 2 each rims and a spoke sets sprocket and brake rotors your most of the way to a set of warp9 wheels. If you’re looking for a specific look, or set up that is the way to go, if your just looking for some SM wheels, look at the Warp9 sets.

Shipping from AU to Minnesota on a set of CBR250 wheels is going to be pricy.. Add that shipping to the AU buy in,,, then call your local used motorcycle parts place and offer them like money to find you a set.. They are here in the US, just not a lot of um used I bet.

Honestly unless you are trying to get max grip when draggin pegs you will probably be fine with some street oriented tires on your 18/21s. I say this having both sets of rims for my bike. I think the SM rims are great but the bike handles better at slow speeds with the 21 front, and can still lean/handle great with the right tires at the right pressure. At least if you think you want more you will only be about the $100-$150 on the tires.:busted:

To each his own.. But I did not like mine in S trim with street times on the 21/18 wheels.

It was ok for just around the house and town, just like it was with dirt tires. But past that, it never felt right to me. Breaking was not what I would call stellar, handling was twitchy, and it fell in. Having ridding back to back That set up and a DRZ in SM trim..I found I liked the SM better….. then it took me 4 years to start the SM build :busted:

By all means, if a person’s riding experience is satisfied with 21/18 and some street tires. Go for it…though I’d add a EBC320 brake kit or the like as well.

Edited by E.Marquez

I was doing 30ks each way to work for 12 months and while comuting the trailwings were ok, a weekend ride on the great ocean road soon showed the short comings of the 21/18 combo and the stock brakes can get pretty ordinary.

I bought the SM wheels off the old TT475 that was parted out last year. Even with a stock caliper, a 320mm brake rotor stops the bike a hell of a lot better. Shipping was around $200. If the link I put up works try these guys they offer CBR wheel conversion kits. Other wise try a grey import bike wrecker. I found a few in Melbourne that had wheels for $600.

http://home.exetel.com.au/bkm/cast-wheels-motard-drz/index.htm

Another set of wheels cost a bit to set up but then you give yourself two bikes in one with out any compromise.

Just don't be silly like me and further upgrade your forks with RMZ ones and a beringer 6 piston caliper and radial master cylinder. Next step is some 15 mm offset triples. Once I get my motor back.

To each his own.. But I did not like mine in S trim with street times on the 21/18 wheels.

It was ok for just around the house and town, just like it was with dirt tires. But past that, it never felt right to me. Breaking was not what I would call stellar, handling was twitchy, and it fell in. Having ridding back to back That set up and a DRZ in SM trim..I found I liked the SM better….. then it took me 4 years to start the SM build :busted:

By all means, if a person’s riding experience is satisfied with 21/18 and some street tires. Go for it…though I’d add a EBC320 brake kit or the like as well.

Did you ride a converted SM or factory SM cause to me they were totally different bikes. The factory SM falls into a turn fast just like the Stock S did(i didnt like that). A converted S to SM(like your bike sort of and mine:)) has much more resistance to turn in because of the lack of trail. I have the ebc320 on my warp 9s and an OS wave rotor on my 21. The OS rotor(285mm i think) on the dirt wheels helped braking a lot. It still wasnt enough on the street but was more than enough off road. I wouldnt put a true street tire cause of the profile difference but a 90% on dual sport tire did pretty well. Once you start adding mods that back tire is probably too skinny to hold much power in a turn(and hard). I have ridden dirt with my SM setup and lots of street on dual tires and full knobbies. Its all a compromise:bonk: I just need a few more bikes in the stable:smirk:

I was doing 30ks each way to work for 12 months and while comuting the trailwings were ok, a weekend ride on the great ocean road soon showed the short comings of the 21/18 combo and the stock brakes can get pretty ordinary.

I bought the SM wheels off the old TT475 that was parted out last year. Even with a stock caliper, a 320mm brake rotor stops the bike a hell of a lot better. Shipping was around $200. If the link I put up works try these guys they offer CBR wheel conversion kits. Other wise try a grey import bike wrecker. I found a few in Melbourne that had wheels for $600.

http://home.exetel.com.au/bkm/cast-wheels-motard-drz/index.htm

Another set of wheels cost a bit to set up but then you give yourself two bikes in one with out any compromise.

Just don't be silly like me and further upgrade your forks with RMZ ones and a beringer 6 piston caliper and radial master cylinder. Next step is some 15 mm offset triples. Once I get my motor back.

yea i am traveling around 25km's in 100km zone. i live in remote part of tassie so the road is very windy and narrow, with many log trucks and milk tankers. the trail tires just feel so dangerous in even slightly damp conditions. i have already checked out the site you posted link for, that is where i got the idea for using cbrr wheels. once christmas is out of the way i think i will go ahead with the conversion using the cbrr rims

@ toadl yea there is an ebay australia but there is not much listed in way of cbr rims atm. hard to beleive these bikes are not popular in usa, they are one of the biggest selling bikes in australia.

I would try some road/trail tyres 1st....(Something like Pirelli Scorpian A/T)..and change your gearing to 15/44T...

Going to heavier SM wheels will change the feel of the bike and give you shorter gearing....

didnt think of the shorter gearing. :/

maybe you are right, wouldnt a road tire be better than road/trail?

the road/trail tires that are 75% or more on road do really well and still allow some space between treads for water, mud, dirt etc. Road tires will be very bad under braking/turning off road.

The switch from the 18" rear to a 17" rear(with tires of course) is like 3 teeth on the rear sprocket. For instance if you are running 14/47 gearing, when you switch to sumo you would want a 44 rear to keep the same gearing.

I have been running the above setup (my previous post) on my E and it gives a great nimble feel on the road...

quite surprisingly in the twisty's the handling is almost as good as the SM..probably due the the lighter weight of the E..