Sign in to follow this  

80' XR250 Spark problems

Ive been trying to get a spark out of my XR for a few days now, and so far nothing. the headlight lights up as i crank it over, but there is still no spark at all.

Could this be a failed CDI, bad plug, or a bad Coil?

this bikes been sitting for 15 years in a garage, so Im leaning more to the failed CDI or plug.

Any thoughts?:busted:

could be any of those things,easy enough to try a different plug,if you havent got one try unscrewing the plug cap ,and push a small nail into the end of the ht lead ,then hold it close to the engine and see if you get a spark jumping the gap,

check the kill switch is operating properly too

could be any of those things,easy enough to try a different plug,if you havent got one try unscrewing the plug cap ,and push a small nail into the end of the ht lead ,then hold it close to the engine and see if you get a spark jumping the gap,

check the kill switch is operating properly too

I have a spark tester at the school shop where my bike is till monday, Ill make sure i try that out aswell. I think its just the coil, the CDI must be working if the lights are functioning, right?

I think its just the coil, the CDI must be working if the lights are functioning, right?

no they are seperate circuits,the lighting coil should just run to your regulator and lights,you dont have a battery on that bike do you ?

no they are seperate circuits,the lighting coil should just run to your regulator and lights,you dont have a battery on that bike do you ?

no battery.

Even with it setting in a garage, if you live in a damp climate, every electrical connection, ground point and switch that has anything to do with the ignition system, I'd be checking for corrosion and cleaning them.

The kill switch on the bars can be taken apart and cleaned.

Run a wire brush around inside the plug caps metal connector.