Sign in to follow this  

2007 oem piston question

I am putting together a list of things I want to replace on all my bikes over the winter and came across this in the OEM schematic. The piston sizes were all standard except one was Red, Orange, Green and Purple. I am assuming this is similar to size A, B, C and D but would like to know for sure. I guess I could call a dealer and ask but this place is way funner.

Also, I always considered Pro-X pistons equivalent to OEM and always went with them with no problems. I now have a source for OEM parts that are much cheaper than dealer prices. Is the OEM and Pro-X indeed equivalent or is OEM better or worse?

Pro X is forged, OEM is cast piston IIRC.

The cast v forged debate war has been waged here many times (bit like 2t vs 4t), do a search if you're interested. Not to reignite the war, but the general opinion is forged pistons suffer from power loss earlier than cast pistons. However forged will 'last longer' in that you can run it longer before (if?) it shatters whereas if you run a cast piston too long it can (and eventually will) shatter.

That's just my take on the discussions though

Dude....ProX's are cast pistons. My question is, when ordering a ProX, it doesn't give you any A,B,C, or D choice. Only "standard", is this ok?

I see your corrected yourself:thumbsup:

Dude....ProX's are cast pistons.

Just goes to show you should always do your research, I got my 'local guy' to order me a forged piston kit and he gave me a Pro X kit. I didn't think twice at the time. Oh well.