Sign in to follow this  

RM 125 sprocket suggestions needed

I just brought home an '85 RM 125 that I plan to use for woods riding in East. Tenn. We've got some hills here, and where I usually ride (Royal Blue WMA), the hills are covered with rocks and roots. My skill level doesn't allow me to go charging up at full speed.

With my usual ride ('86 Husky wr250), I can just take it slow and chug up the hills. But the little RM won't pull so well low down just now.

I'm thinking about changing the front and rear sprocket from stock and need suggestions. I think the sprockets on it now are factory 12t front and 49t rear. What would you think about going down to 11t front and up a couple on the rear? I'm not concerned about top end speed as it would just get me killed faster.

If this is a bad idea, please tell me.

google.............srs6.com/gearratiochart

12-50 is stock ???

11-46........would be close to same ratio.........I don't know what you are thinking.

Maybe 12-51.......or 12-52...........( unless stock is really a 49, on your '85).

I saw a man using an 84/85 for vintage H/S racing.........with mixed results, this year.

I owned an 88 cr 125....and tried using it for H/S racing....and with one or 2 races.........decided I needed something else.

Good luck with your decision.

My opinion on old bikes ........I like looking at them.....but don't want one in the garage !!!