Sign in to follow this  

Shifter keeps coming loose

The bolt that holds the shifter on my '02 250sx keeps backing out. I have tried red & blue thread locker (with days before use), a different bolt, washers you name it. I just installed a Sunline Ti lever last night. I ordered a replacement bolt & special washers. If they don't fix it, I am at a loss. I'll have to switch to a clamp on shift lever if the new OEM bits don't sort it out.:busted:

That seems crazy that loctite wont work, but for a permanent fix, you could drill a hole through the bolt head and safety wire it to the shifter. Or you could fashion a locking tab washer out of some heavy gauge sheet metal (like they use on older style 4x4 wheel bearings)

....loctite only works properly if both surfaces are oil free. any residue oil in the shaft thread will prevent the glue doing its job. have u tried a spring washer?

I lost 2 shifters on my 05 300 while out in the woods. 1 time it fell off right when my foot hit it so i found it. The other time, not so lucky. I happened to be a section where I ride miles between shifts so I had no idea where it was. :busted:

I finally did what has been suggested here. I cleaned it well with surface cleaner (brake cleaner) and then properly applied loctite and then saftery wired it. Never came off again.

When your counter-shaft seal leaks at all (which as we all know is pretty common) it runs right down to the shifter and does it's best liquid wrench impersonation.

weird. had many bikes over the years. never 1 shifter get loose. check the manual for a specific torque of that bolt. hondas are 9ftlb. ktm is probly similar

Consider yourself lucky! How many of those years were on a 2 stroke KTM?

The bolt that holds the shifter on my '02 250sx keeps backing out. I have tried red & blue thread locker (with days before use), a different bolt, washers you name it. I just installed a Sunline Ti lever last night. I ordered a replacement bolt & special washers. If they don't fix it, I am at a loss. I'll have to switch to a clamp on shift lever if the new OEM bits don't sort it out.:busted:

Just use the two nut locking system.

After numerous problems with my lever coming loose I've never had a problem since using this system + loctite for good measure.

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/twonuts.htm

Consider yourself lucky! How many of those years were on a 2 stroke KTM?

actually 4 ktm 2strokes. older models however. just now i see they have changed the shifter bolt design, which i wasnt aware of. it used to go through the top/bottom of the shifter and clamp down on the splined shaft. rock solid design used by nearly every manufacturer for 30+ years. strange they would get away from something that worked so well

I dont see how that would be possible.

Well I ain't Einstein mate and it worked for me. :busted:

My shifter isn't a clamp on. What you're suggesting, I assume, is to use a longer bolt, and use a jam-nut. Kinda like the chain adjustment bolts. Yeah? Otherwise, I don't see any other way.