Sign in to follow this  

Lower gearing 2011 300XC

I am thinking I may benefit from lower gearing. Good Idea or bad?

How much difference stock 50 rear and 14 I think front versus 51 in the rear on my bike? Is 53 too much?

I just started riding 7 months ago and racing on motorcycles about a month ago. I come from MTB and I seem to have some skill and I want to improve my skills and maybe the motorcycle.

I live and ride in mostly tighter trail areas of Va., WVa., Pa...

I like that the top end is so high but for the real steep and poor traction/tough lines I wonder if a lower gearing would be of great benifit?

Does a 13 in the front create increased chain wear or drive line issues?

I am 6 foot one about 175 pounds with about 10-20 pounds of extra riding gear. I wear a adventure harness Camel Bak, padded shorts, knee protection, etc.

All wisdom is appreciated!

I'd try the 13 and see if you like it.. On my 05 300 XCW I ran 13/52. Stock was 13/50. I installed a 12 for the mtns..

I tried a 13 and went back to the 14. If you like to shift constantly then you'll prefer the 13. Save your $$$ for a Rekluse clutch and the idea of steep, poor traction and tight single-track becomes a non-issue.

not sure about the 11 300xc but I switched my 2009 250xc from 14/50 to 13/50 with good results (i ride woods mostly). The bike is a 5 speed and will still do 70.

It is about 4 teeth on back to 1 on front, just in the ball park. Try a 52 in back that is what is on my 09 300xc, 14 x 52. The 13 does not let you stay in the smooth power long enough, you will be shifting a lot.