Sign in to follow this  

How to basics: Valve adjustments

great video. I just want to mention that the right direction to turn the flywheel is the direction that the motor normally turns in so that there is no slack in the cam chain. For a lot of thumpers it's counter clockwise. Also with my xl250r i had problems locating the timing mark through the window so when I finally found it i made a mark just below the T closer in view of the sight hole with a yellow paint pen. Now it's easier to locate the mark for the next valve adjustment. just my 2 cents

great video. I just want to mention that the right direction to turn the flywheel is the direction that the motor normally turns in so that there is no slack in the cam chain. For a lot of thumpers it's counter clockwise. Also with my xl250r i had problems locating the timing mark through the window so when I finally found it i made a mark just below the T closer in view of the sight hole with a yellow paint pen. Now it's easier to locate the mark for the next valve adjustment. just my 2 cents

Yes, good tip. Most (not all) flywheels are marked with a rotation direction (arrow) like the engine in the video. However if you don't know and it is not marked, bump the starter (kick or electric) and watch the direction.