waterpump leak

I just found out (literally) there are two seals, one oil & one water seal, behind the water pump. I looked it up online then called a Yamaha dealership to order parts and he said you have to take the intermediate case off and do both sides. I was going to come online here at TT and look up if anyone has done this before and I found you guys. :-)

My oil has water in it. I finally got all the parts on it to make it reliable (I just got the bike a few weeks ago) and went to change the oil and found it milky. Put in a new quart, warmed it up, pulled the oil drain plug and WHITE oil come out. So much for riding this weekend as I'm ordering MORE friggin parts. Only dealership that has both seals in in Oklahoma City (Baker Boys) but they don't have any of the gaskets and it's a 3 hour drive one way.

Any dissassembly/assembly hints or tutorials are greatly appreciated !

My friend made a good point yesterday, he said because my bike was lying up the last few weeks without oil and coolant that the seal would have dried up and didn't do its job when i put in the coolant, but he said once it gets wet it should seal and after i started the bike coolant pissed out then i turned the bike off and there was no dripping so i might go up and have a look today and see. If i have to take off the right hand casing again i am gonna freak out beacuse i just put on a new gasket and torqued all the bolts. argh!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Just did a search and found this old thread, handy because I have the exact same problem. I intend to get a new shaft, bearing and both seals...eventually but don't have the time and money to do it before the weekend.

Do I have to take the intermediate case off to do the full job?

I intend to pull the outside seal off tonight and have a look, is there anything I can do as a quick temporary fix to get it running for the weekend?

sorry if this is a thread hi-jack, but since its an old thread I figured it was alright and saves another thread on the same topic. Thanks

If it's just a few drops here and there, bring some coolant with you and keep an eye on it. I assume you're not heading off for a 20-mile loop, in which case, probably shouldn't ride it until it's fixed proper.