Sign in to follow this  

dt250 ignition timing

anyone know for sure what the ignition timing should be on my old dt250,its a 78/79 model , with cdi,

ive heard anywhere from 1.8 to 3.2mm btdc to as far advanced as it will go,which ive tried and it ran terrible,

currently at 3mm btdc , but not convinced thats its optimum,

thanks nick

My books only go to 175cc bikes. The timing specs are 1.8mm or 2mm on other models. Do you have a good fat blue spark? Have you tried a new plug? Do you have good spark from the coil wire? What are the symptoms of the terrible performance? Another good place to ask questions is yamahaenduro.com

hi jonboat,when i said it ran terrible,i meant it ran terrible in the full advanced position,which i'd read somewhere else is where it would work best,

everything is new on the bike,i had a long thread on here a couple of years back,"dt250 rough at low revs"well i think it turned out my ignition source coil was duff,which i suspeced at the time,as i had changed everything else,but couldnt track one down until recently,runs pretty good really now,just wasnt sure exactly where the timing should be,today i advanced it slightly from the 3mm btdc that i was running,seemed slightly better,so looks like the 3.2mm that i read somewhere could be the one,but you hear so much conflicting info on the internet you just dont know