Sign in to follow this  

Cam chain tool, advice for top end rebuild

I need to break the chain to rebuild the top end on a 2005 KX250f.

Is there a tool or do I grind it ?

And than how to re-install ?

thanks

are you sure you have to break it? This may be true, I do not know, but usually you just slip the cams out and the chain lays in the case over the chain sliders or something like that. Of course, if the head is cast without a hole to let the chain drop into the crankcase, then you do have to break it. If you do need to break it, I would use a motion pro chain breaker/riveter tool. It comes with the driving pins needed to break many different size chains, including drive chain and cam chain. It also has the riveting adapters to install a new chain, which you would need. I use mine whenever I get a new chain to size it to my final drive sprockets and desired rear wheel position. Anyway, I ramble on too much. Hopefully your head does not make it so you really have to break the chain. I know the KTM RFS motors were like that; they required you to break the chain to service the top end.

Thanks, I'm not sure. Didn't take it apart yet.

Maybe a kawie guy would know.

No breaking is required, all you do is unbolt the cam chain tensioner. Then unbolt the cams and pull the chain off the gears. At the bottom of the motor, behind the mag is a little guide that is held down by a single 8mm bolt. Remove that and the chain with come off the bottom of the crank gear. Once you have done this, the chain will simply pull out the top of the motor.

Check out the "Sticky" thread at the top of the forum. There is one about adjusting valves with pic's. It gives a good explanation.

The only special tool needed to replace the cam chain is a flywheel puller.