Sign in to follow this  

Better suspension

Anyone know a way I can improve the front forks on an XL185, can't find any other forks that will fit so would like to reduce the dive, so what oil will give better results and also any way to increase the preload knowing there is no adjusters on these old forks.

I used to use a valve spring from some form of car engine for more preload back in the day of bikes like that, and as for the fork oil if I remember correctly it was more like motor oil than fork oil in them things so maybe worth a try

didn't think about an extra spring, annoyingly I changed the clutch last week so could have used one of those springs but threw them away already

You can get a fork spring kit from progressive suspension or other name brands. The springs are a stiffer then stock. Also changing the fork seals and replacing the fork oil should correct the problem. Good luck.

I have an XR200R and if the XL185 forks are anything like those on the XR200, a pogo stick is more sophisticated. There is no shim stack, only a few holes in a pipe. Race Tech sells "suspension emulators" for the XR200R. Maybe for your bike too.

I put in new fork seals to fix a leak. Fresh ATF fluid (per Honda manual).

Ditto on the 'Emulators' Meaure the piston on your forks and give Racetech a call.

I did it for my 75 mx. well worth it!!