Sign in to follow this  

Mulege to San Ignacio?

I will be in the San Ignacio-Loretto area in Feb. I was looking for info on a route from Mulege to San Ignacio. Is there a way to do this without going all the way south to the Commundos? Also interested in any info on the cave paintings in this area that I've heard about in some other posts that i can't seem to find. Thanks

Yes several, all somewhat remote and fairly long but classic Baja.

One starts in Mulege and the other about 20 miles south of the Bahia Concepción. Both pass through or near San Juanico (limited fuel/food/lodging) on the Pacific side.

You will need a fairly good understanding of what the task is as well as maps, bail-out and shortcut options are for the most part nonexistent.

Bruce

I went from San Ignacio to Mulege last year. There are a couple of ways back in those mountains that I know of.

I agree it is remote and classic Baja. I wonder if some of the ranchers back in those mountains ever see town!

The couple of ways that I know of both start out the same (when leaving SI), following the 1000 course from San Ignacio toward Scorpion Bay.

We were following tracks from "she who will not be named" on this board. But some ranchers who live on the main Score course heading south to Scorbion Bay scratched out a better route for us on our atlas. It mostly followed dirt roads over the mountains to Mulege. Still a pretty rought ride in spots.

The tracks we had ben following would have sent us down some gnarly clutch-eating sand washes that were freshly upturned in that Hurricane that wiped out Mulege and Santa Rosalia. Maybe it's better now, but we went on a portion of that route and it was a ball buster in the wake of that hurricane.

So, yes, to answer your question: There are some fun ways to do do SI to Mulege.

-mg

Also ... as I recall there is also a dirt road that appears on the AAA map, IIRC, that runs straight from Mulege over to just north of Scorpion Bay. That route is fun and not difficult at all. Crosses several fun sand washes, etc. Very easy compared to the She-Who-Will-Not-Be-Named route I discussed above, or the hybrid provided to us by local ranchers.

-mg

It is past time for me to contribute a little more, so here are some photos from the routes discussed above:

Here is a picture of us getting directions from a rancher and his wife on the Score course that heads south off the major East-West dirt road out of San Ignacio. They basically sent us due east over fainter dirt roads into the mountains toward Mulege:

RanchoDirections.jpg

Here is a picture from the canyons of this route. A lot of this:

mattcanyon-1.jpg

Here is the road as it winds over a portion of the mountains going east and south toward Mulege.

mtnroad.jpg

And here is a snapshot from the third route I referenced, this is the route on the maps that leaves directly from Mulege and ends up north of Scorpion Bay. As you can see this sand wash got tough on this truck! Lots of sand wash crossings on this route. All fun and easy:

SI_MUL.jpg

Thanks for the info and pics! From SI it looks like the turn off to head east is at El Batequi? About 22 miles out on the road to the laguna. Mgouras, does your hybrid route end at mulege? Also is that route passable by a razor? We will have a couple of razors with us also.

El Batequi is not even close, IIRC.

If you are doing much riding down there I would get some GPS waypoints to build from, along with a good basemap.

I hate to give you detailed directions over the internet for either route. It would be easy to get lost in those mountains, although local ranchers can help point you in the way if you are intent on winging it. We asked several of them to point us in the direction of Mulege.

If you are looking at the AAA map, the overland route east over the mountains turns east somewhere around El Patrocinio.

Some of that back in there is pretty dang remote and unimproved. I wouldn't take a Razr ... but then I wouldn't take a Razr to Baja!

The easiest method is the last route I discussed that heads down the Arroyo San Raymundo wash due west from Mulege. It is fun. Then go north to SI via the road on the AAA map that looks like it is going through a marsh. Fast and fun. It's the way I would go without GPS assistance.