Sign in to follow this  

08 530 XCR-W - Hard starting, updated cam fix

Hey all, a friend has an 08 530 that had hard starting issues to the point we could only e-start it with a fully topped off battery when cold, or semi charged when warm, but never able to kick start it.

We checked valves (this all started at 50 hours) and they were in spec. I did some research and found out about putting an updated cam in there since apparently the original cam auto decomp is backward, thus worthless.

I bought the 2010 cam (#78636010033) at RM ATV for $195 total. The cam swap was EASY (no need for new gaskets, no breaking the timing chain, etc) and although I think KTM should be warrantying these, they're not. The bike starts up unbelievably quick now. And yes, I compared the cams, the auto decomp is exactly opposite each other.

Just wanted to throw this thread out there for those of you having starting issues on your 2008 530. It really IS the fix and if you are in the market for a used one, I'd ask for proof that the update has been done, or bring them down in price just for the cam alone.

This was a big problem,including mine.Ktm was replacing 2 yr bikes under warrenty.Dont know if they would now,might be worth a try to get the parts paid for.

I tried. Initially, Ktm was taking care of people, but then too many claims came in. At that time, they said they'd only warranty the bike if it was under 15 hours. I talked to KtmUsa's custome service sometime at the beginning of 2011........who has an 08 in 2011 with under 15 hours?

Oh well, we were happy to do the upgrade forunder $200.........because it worked.:thumbsup:Keep riding!

I have an 08 530 EXC that has been hard to start since I bought it in 08.I have no problem turning the motor over by kicking, the problem seems to be poor ignition. Was wondering if the 2010 cam would help

I have an 08 530 EXC that has been hard to start since I bought it in 08.I have no problem turning the motor over by kicking, the problem seems to be poor ignition. Was wondering if the 2010 cam would help

When you hit the e-start does it just keep spinning and doesnt seem to fire?Than you can kick it and it will fire up?If this is your problem sounds like the tourque limiter i have had problems with mine.

It doesn't matter if it is electric or kick. If it doesn't start on the first try it seems to flood

That's pretty consistent with the problem my friend's bike was having. Furthermore, if you try to e-start, does it end up wearing down the battery usually?