Lowering Rider's Foot Pegs?

My DRZ400s is just too cramped for me.

Who has a bracket or some other way to lower the foot pegs?

Thanks,

Randy

Hi, somebody a few months ago had the same problem, some suggestions were made if you're lucky with the search button. One of them was using a taller seat, don't know if that would help but it's an option.

Yeah, the DR650 pegs don't attach the same way as the DRZ. I wish they did, I could make a bracket myself.

I don't really want to raise the seat. It's pretty damned tall as is and I'm only 6'1". Plus if I could lower the pegs I might avoid risers too.

Just a thought...

maybe you can check wheeling cycle supply? I remember seeing foot pegs on there that come in different heights. Im not sure if that would be any help but could be worth a look.

maybe you can check wheeling cycle supply? I remember seeing foot pegs on there that come in different heights. Im not sure if that would be any help but could be worth a look.

You are correct. I bought the middle positioned pegs. I like them alot. Theyre HUGE and were only 45 bux.

They offered 3 diff positions

Only ones I see lower a whole 5mm. That's not enough...

But it's a start. Instead of moving the stock pegs I should be looking for lower pegs.

Due to a bum right knee I needed extra room as well. I ordered the tall / firm seat foam and cover from Seat Concepts and had the local upholstery shop install it on my original seat pan. It adds nearly 3 inches in the middle of the seat.

:busted:

100_0047.jpg

OP, what are you shaquille o'neal?

Read much?

Like I said I'm only 6'1" but I'm used to old school dirt bikes, the emphasis on "old" because I'm old. And I have an effed up back.

My DRZ is an s not an SM and I ride it off road and between trails and I just find it more cramped than my knees like.

And I ride on and off road pretty casually, that is I'm not trying to win a race or even scrape a peg really, just riding around like a geez.

:busted:

I have the offset Moose pegs, the top of the peg is maybe 10mm lower than stock. The offest version keeps the front of the peg in the same place (they are much wider than stock) so the distance to the brake and shifter feels the same. The height difference feels more substantial than it sounds. I'm 6-1 and also using the Guts Racing tall hard seat foam. I'd like an even taller seat but it's still worlds better than stock.

I have the offset Moose pegs, the top of the peg is maybe 10mm lower than stock. The offest version keeps the front of the peg in the same place (they are much wider than stock) so the distance to the brake and shifter feels the same. The height difference feels more substantial than it sounds. I'm 6-1 and also using the Guts Racing tall hard seat foam. I'd like an even taller seat but it's still worlds better than stock.

Bump

Just bumping this thread to ask if anyone else can verify that the top of Moose offset pegs are 10mm lower than the stock pegs.

Edited by bill1960

You can modify the original ones. But I think the problem is the distance pegs-handlebar. I think it is a better idea to modify the triple clamp (new holes for the bar clamp) and to solder a piece of metal in the back of the pegs, making them wider.

64069_263990290342008_100001931168114_600379_449579804_n.jpg

These are 2cms lower

Edited by Ferrys

These pegs come in three different heights for other models but only come in the middle height for the DRZ

Bump

Just bumping this thread to ask if anyone else can verify that the top of Moose offset pegs are 10mm lower than the stock pegs.

I'm going to check into those.

I currently have the stock pegs on one DRZ and IMS wide pegs on the other

The IMS are the same height as the stock peg without rubber, and the front edge of the IMS peg is approx 11mm further fwd than the stock peg

I took some measurements using a 10mm rod in the hollow swingarm shaft for a reference point.

Height between middle of IMS peg to 10mm rod = 38mm (stock peg height 39mm)

DSC00074.jpg

Distance between front of IMS peg and brake lever = 103mm (stock peg distance 114mm)

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

So the wider IMS peg puts the front of the peg around 11mm more forward than the stock peg.

In this case, the rear offset Moose peg should retain the same fwd position as stock.

Looking straight down at the pegs with the 10mm rod in the swingarm shaft you can see the forward alignment difference between the IMS and stock peg

Stock Peg

DSC00070.jpg

IMS peg

DSC00073.jpg

Getting back to Moose Rear offset Peg, can anyone provide pictures or measurements that confirm its height compared to the stock pegs without rubber insert.

• Like 1

Thanks for putting the time in to take those measurements and giving the rest of us some real information. It seems to me that maybe the stock pegs have some advantages over the IMS, especially peg to brake distance. So the question I have to ask is, which pegs do you prefer?

I'm 6'4" and know what your talking about . when you just sit on the bike it feels right but when you start riding it really feels like its made for a small person .

I called the dealership where I bought mine from and the guy i talked to said that there's a lowboy peg that has an adujustable bracket thats perfect if your wanting to get more riding room .he was 6'5" himself . can anyone fill me in on this ?

Edited by xxcody2gunsxx

Thanks for putting the time in to take those measurements and giving the rest of us some real information. It seems to me that maybe the stock pegs have some advantages over the IMS, especially peg to brake distance. So the question I have to ask is, which pegs do you prefer?

For standing, a wider peg is more comfortable so the wider IMS peg wins over stock in that regard.

For peg position, I would prefer the front of any peg to be no further fwd than the stock peg.

One cheap option might be to fabricate and weld a rearward extension to the stock peg, somewhat imitating the width and position of the Moose 1/2"rear offset peg ?

I emailed Moose and asked them about the peg position height of their rear offset pegs for the DRZ400

Following is their response.

Our pegs are the same height as stock on the outsides of the pegs.

Then towards the middle of the peg they are a little higher.

They have a concave arch in the middle

Moose's response is in contrast to Dec's post on Nov 12th where he believes his Moose rear offset pegs are 10mm lower than stock.

Anyway, if I decide to buy new wide pegs, the Moose 1/2" rear offset seem the best option out there for me (size 11 boot)

If, as Dec states, it is also 10mm lower, that would be a bonus imo.

Hopefully someone with the Moose offset pegs can post up some measurements.

I currently have the stock pegs on one DRZ and IMS wide pegs on the other

The IMS are the same height as the stock peg without rubber, and the front edge of the IMS peg is approx 11mm further fwd than the stock peg

I took some measurements using a 10mm rod in the hollow swingarm shaft for a reference point.

Height between middle of IMS peg to 10mm rod = 38mm (stock peg height 39mm)

DSC00074.jpg

Distance between front of IMS peg and brake lever = 103mm (stock peg distance 114mm)

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

So the wider IMS peg puts the front of the peg around 11mm more forward than the stock peg.

In this case, the rear offset Moose peg should retain the same fwd position as stock.

Looking straight down at the pegs with the 10mm rod in the swingarm shaft you can see the forward alignment difference between the IMS and stock peg

Stock Peg

DSC00070.jpg

IMS peg

DSC00073.jpg

Getting back to Moose Rear offset Peg, can anyone provide pictures or measurements that confirm its height compared to the stock pegs without rubber insert.

I ended up getting the Moose rear offset pegs and can confirm that, overall, they are the same height as the standard peg without rubber insert.

The Moose pegs are arched , plus a little higher than stock on the outer edge, and a little lower than stock on the inner edge (closest to the bike frame).

But overall, same height as stock.

The rear offset is good for my size 11 feet.